UKC

Gear-zone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Has anyone used http://www.gear-zone.co.uk to buy ger from?, ordered a rope from them about a month ago and have only got automated e-mail responses from them when i asked for a reason for the delay. There is no telephone number listed on their site so cant contact them directly. 2 bob company?
 Kate 18 Mar 2007
In reply to BallsofBritishSteel: I've never purchased anything from them, but here's their phone no. 01603 410108
 MeMeMe 18 Mar 2007
In reply to BallsofBritishSteel:

Try contacting them via the number on http://www.gear-zonekids.co.uk/?PAGEID=20792

It's the same address.
ok thanks for the number, will phone them first thing in the morning to see what is going on.
 edmonio 18 Mar 2007
Had the same problem with a Beal Joker last year. ordered it a good two months before going to the Alps waited and waited phoned them several weeks on and they said it was out of stock so ended up getting a rope while i was away. have a look at needle sports, post free outdoors or V12 very reliable very good delivery
 blondel 18 Mar 2007

Just received an order from them about 3 weeks after I'd ordered it - it was out of stock, but they kept me informed of progress. One satisfied customer at least!
erika 19 Mar 2007
In reply to BallsofBritishSteel: used them twice first for my atc xp, which took weeks to arrive, but I've now had some draws on order for months, and the automated BS responsess are pissing me off. I've had enough of there "out of stock" crap and I will not be using them again!

DJClarke 19 Mar 2007
In reply to BallsofBritishSteel: I ordered a tent from them nearly a month ago, and still haven't received it. I've emailed them and received an automated response. They haven't responded to my recent emails. Will phone today and see what's going on. I definitely won't use them again.

DC
 gingerdave13 19 Mar 2007
In reply to BallsofBritishSteel: had no issues myself, quick response, phoned up when trying to order a tent (that had gone out of stock) and they were helpfull,, no problems basically
 Monk 19 Mar 2007
In reply to all:

Does this company even hold stock, seeing as everyone who uses them on here seems to be telling an "out of Stock" story!?!
 foggieclimber 19 Mar 2007
In reply to BallsofBritishSteel: Thanks, was just about to order a new rope from this company. Will go elsewhere now.
deeje 19 Mar 2007
In reply to BallsofBritishSteel: cancel and order from V12 -

ordered shoes thursday night about half 11.

shoes arrived saturday morning at half 9

needlesports, planet fear and urban rock have all been as fast in the past
LucP 19 Mar 2007

I ordered my TNF Himalaya 47 tent from them. They had to order it from the manufacturer but kept us in the loop and delivered when they said they would. We saved some £200 buying from them.
Lord Percy 19 Mar 2007
Ordered a bag of stuff from them last year.
took weeks to deiver 1st item, which was wrong !
took another 3 attempts to deliver the balance of the order, several items were no longer available, and the tent I ordered never came - got it from feild & trek in the end.
they hardly ever answered the phone, email updates were sporadic, basically a dreadful company.
 THE.WALRUS 19 Mar 2007
In reply to Lord Percy:

I've had problems with them - been waiting weeks for a £180 refund on a pair of boots that didn't fit. I'd recommend you go elsewhere.
In reply to deeje: yeah i have just cancelled my order. Have ordered from planet fear and urban rock before and was fast delivery, so will get it from 1 of those or v12.
 Anni 19 Mar 2007

Best decision to have made. Ordered something 6 weeks before Xmas and got it three days before after a lot of chasing and some staff who really didnt give a t*ss. Wouldnt order from them again, their prices may be cheap but from my experience thats *when* they have the stock!
 erikb56 19 Mar 2007
In reply to Anni:
also have ordered from them in the past and recieved the goods although tooks a few weeks for stock ot be delivered. suspect they don't really hold much stock although display a wide range and order as need it. not really a way to get great customer satisfaction. so for me they were ok but that's the best can say.
 Wyddfa 19 Mar 2007

Ordered from GearZone 4 times.
2 orders completed (1 of which took about 2 weeks!).
2 orders cancelled.

Personally, unless they've got a sale of the century bargain going, then take a punt, you may be lucky? Otherwise, stuff them, bunch of amateurs – much better stores out there.

Steve.
almost sane 19 Mar 2007
Sadly I waited two months for an order.
They took my money first, and didn't tell me they had no stock.
I cancelled the order a few weeks ago and am still awaiting a refund.

Avoid them!
Slugain Howff 19 Mar 2007
In reply to almost sane:

I've e.mailed them a link to this thread offering them a chance to reply. Might be interesting.
 Wyddfa 19 Mar 2007
In reply to Slugain Howff:

hope they do... but it will probably be in fortnight or so!
 philo 19 Mar 2007
In reply to Wyddfa: thats not a wait, ive been waiting for over a month, 6 weeks ish now for a t-shirt from another online store. *sigh*
 Wyddfa 19 Mar 2007
In reply to philo:

Why? just mail/phone them and demand they cancel the order and refund your card today. You're the boss!

S.
 g taylor 19 Mar 2007
In reply to BallsofBritishSteel: What do you expect from a climbing shop in Norwich!
nikolai 19 Mar 2007
In reply to BallsofBritishSteel: Well theres a suprise a internet site that offers cheap prices but never holds anything in stock.
kidA 19 Mar 2007
I had problems once when ordering a jacket. SAid on the website that the item was in stock but in actual fact it wasnt and i received an email saying it would be 3 weeks until they got one in stock. I needed it urgently too so managed to get in touch via email to cancel my order and purchase elsewhere. To be fair, they were happy to give a full refund and i also didnt receive any automated email.
 philo 19 Mar 2007
In reply to Wyddfa: i lost my card and i have a replacement one... so the details would change!
Little Cub 19 Mar 2007
In reply to BallsofBritishSteel: I ordered some remarkably chaply-priced items from them in February in plenty of time for a planned trip in early March. Order processed as goods in stock, money taken then received an e-mail a couple of days later saying that they couldn't get the items from their supplier (they were out of stock) but expected receipt within a week - which would still have been in time for me.
I from the start was a bit on my guard about them and responded that it was a "time of the essence" order and that I'd have to cancel it if they couldn't despatch by a certain date to ensure delivery before I went. To be fair to them they did answer my e-mails and tell me that they didn't think that they could fulfil it in time so I eventually e-mailed them back once the date had passed and cencelled the order. They said that they'd refund my credit card - I haven't yet had the statement to check whether this has happened.
I then ordered the same items (Black Diamond products) from someone else on the net at a reasonable price (they had a phone number and a nice man on the end too) and they arrived within 48hrs, being in stock at the shop and warehouse.

Seems to me that either Gear-Zone are doing something a bit "funny" (and I'm not very happy about the no phone number thing either - have now taken note, thanks) or else they're getting cheap stuff from overseas or in some other way that their suppliers are very unreliable/slow. THey seem to be selling cheaper than everyone else so I suspect there's something a bit different about the way that they operate to others who seem to be able to fulfil orders and have no problems with supply whatsoever - or else, there's jsut a problem with one particular supplier - I have encountered this when trying to buy other things via reputable shops (both climbing and pharmaceuticals) who kept being told that thigs weren't in the warehouse or couldn't be delivered from the manufacturer when I eventually found out by some lateral phone-calling that they were, and the supplier just had it's head up its a***e.

Personally, however, I won't deal with GZ any more - something seems very amis at present.
 Foxache 20 Mar 2007

I've had a bad experience with them too. I was after a ME Firewalker 3, and after searching around the net gearzone came up cheapest.
It said on the website that they were out of stock but would have new stock within 14 days. I needed the bag for a trip almost 2 months in the future so that wouldn't be a problem, or so I thought.

Just under 2 months later, after god-knows-how-many emails chasing them, I was suddenly sent what looked like an automated email to say that stock was no longer available and my card had been refunded. I shouldn't have been so patient/trusting as it was then too late to buy one elsewhere so I ended up enduring a few uncomfortably cold nights in an old bag rather than miss the trip.

Thanks Gearzone!
> (In reply to deeje) yeah i have just cancelled my order. Have ordered from planet fear and urban rock before and was fast delivery, so will get it from 1 of those or v12.

Who did you use in the end?

In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut: urban rock, got the rope 2 days later
rpwall 02 Apr 2007
MORE TROUBLE WITH GEAR ZONE - USE THEM AT YOUR PERIL
They advertise the cheapest Berghaus Deluge on the net, which is great. Unfortunately they never deliver, instead they eventually send an email saying they are unable to forfil the order whist holding yours and everyone else's money on deposit. Nice darts.
Goods ordered in Feb and as at 2 April 07 the money is still not refunded to my A/C- telephoned three times and been given three bulls**t excuses - AVOID
 Fume Troll 02 Apr 2007
In reply to BallsofBritishSteel: I used them and it also took ages to get anything from them. I was left with the impression that they are just a middleman with no stock, ordering to fillfil their orders.
I got what I wanted eventually, but it took ages and a lot of e-mails.

Cheers,

FT.
hang 'em high 02 Apr 2007
In reply to Slugain Howff:

well, 1,500+ people have seen this thread now, and so far the negatives outweigh the positives. If I was the director of the company I'd be very interested in customer feedback especially the negatives.

Surely these people need to come on here and defend themselves?
erika 02 Apr 2007
In reply to hang 'em high:

got sick of waiting for my latest order so canceled it and I'm now stuck waiting for a refund.
avad 02 Apr 2007
In reply to erika: I ordered a Beal Topgun rope, it looked like good value at the time, but never arrived when it should have done. I had no reply from the email service and when I eventually found the phone number (01603 410108) I had to let it ring for about 5 minutes before anyone answered. The told me they 'hoped' it would be in within the next week. Having viewed the other messages in this thread I thought it would be best to just cancel the order, which has to be done via email.
Paul Bates 03 Apr 2007
In reply to BallsofBritishSteel: I am currently on the phone with them now as they process my refund for a TNF circadian paclite jacket, that was cancelled, but they told me i hadn't paid for it, so they wouldn't refund me!!!!!! after sending my bank statement showing the payment, i am demanding they refund me now.
Paul Bates 03 Apr 2007
In reply to BallsofBritishSteel: By the way, thanks for the number, i was only receiving the same bs emails before!
Paul Bates 03 Apr 2007
In reply to BallsofBritishSteel: Refund PROCESSED!!!!
outdoortony 04 Apr 2007
In reply to BallsofBritishSteel: i wish i had read this page befor ordering with gear-zone am having the same drama at the mo with a set for beal jockers i ordered a mouth ago just got off the phone now and have been tolled that the ropes will be another 3/4 weeks , so i told them to shove it up their ares and give me my money back... so the fun begins!!!!! spred the word dont use gear zone if you actually want your kit !!!!
 thin bob 04 Apr 2007
haven't ordered from them in the past [not got right size, didn't have time/card]......and bloody glad i didn't, now. hope everyone gets satisfaction soon.
Paul Bates 05 Apr 2007
I received my refund this morning. I'm satisfied, but i will never use them again.

I got a BD pick off them within a few days, and that was something they had to order in too. I've no complaints.

Davie
erika 11 Apr 2007
In reply to erika: just got my refund from Gearzone, typical - they did have to wait until my account was overdrawn, now I only have half of the cash to spend... ah well
Steve Humm 4395 11 Apr 2007
In reply to erika: I'm fairly sure gear zone is run by Martin Culverhouse who use to have a shop in Watford high st. Not a particulaly great reputation i would avoid at all costs
psd 11 Apr 2007

I bought my Whisperlite off them - it took nearly two weeks to turn up, and over a week after they told me it had been sent out. What worried me was the delay in replying to me once I contacted them, and that they couldn't give me a tracking number to see if it had been signed for somebody else at work.

I'd avoid them in future, as they weren't on the ball when I was worried that it had gone missing - and I was only worrying (I suspect) as they lied about a despatch date. In contrast the other suppliers I bought kit off at the same time (Needlesports, Go Outdoors and Alpkit) were without exception prompt and able to give accurate information. Needlesports, especially, have justified my previous faith in them.

Annie S 12 Apr 2007
> Has anyone used http://www.gear-zone.co.uk to buy ger from?, ordered a rope from them about a month ago and have only got automated e-mail responses from them when i asked for a reason for the delay. There is no telephone number listed on their site so cant contact them directly. 2 bob company?

I did not recieve a Vango Banshee tent ordered in Feb. Cancelled my order and found my credit card had already been debited, am still awairing a refund, and they do not answer the phone, did not even get an automated reply to my last e-mail, Any suggastions???
dontpostmuch 12 Apr 2007
In reply to Annie S:

If they dont refund within 30 days of your request to refund, contact your credit card company and request a chargeback.
 phil webber 12 Apr 2007
In reply to Annie S:
>
> I did not recieve a Vango Banshee tent ordered in Feb. Cancelled my order and found my credit card had already been debited, am still awairing a refund, and they do not answer the phone, did not even get an automated reply to my last e-mail, Any suggastions???

Speak to your credit card provider, Im sure most card companies insure you against just such an event.
Looks like Gear-zone has just lost 2,447 potential customers lol
 Anni 12 Apr 2007

Wonder what trading standards would make of it if we all sent on our complaints on this thread?
 foggieclimber 12 Apr 2007
In reply to BallsofBritishSteel: Company sounds so good it may be worth forwarding this thread to Watchdog!
J Steele 13 Apr 2007
Ordered a harness over a month ago, card debited immediately then automated e-mail saying it wasn't in stock. Sent complaint e-mail a week ago which wasn't answered. Have just got through on 01603 410108 (it did ring for a few minutes). Harness still not in stock and sales dept are (very) behind in replying to e-mails. Have been promised a refund. Fingers crossed...
gourd 13 Apr 2007

Have just spoken to them on phone. Thank you whoever put the number on as I wuldn't have known it.

They're sold out of my order and have assured me of a full refund on Monday morning.....watch this space.

Also alerted them to this thread. Shame really as I've used them in the past and they were as good as anyone else.
Clif 20 Apr 2007
In reply to J Steele: Seems I've joined the long list of dissatisfied Gear-Zone customers. Pretty much the same story as everyone else - ordered Berghaus paclite trousers in Feb but out of stock and order placed on Berghaus but never arrived. Cancelled my order (sourced elsewhere overnight at same price) and was promised a refund on 15th March but still not received. I've now put it in the hands of my credit card company as I can't get a response to either emails or tel calls ................
AndyHayes 20 Apr 2007

I have started to use the chargeback method if I don't get the goods in time. Ring up the complaints line of your credit/debit card and state your case. You will get the money back in your accout. I think that you have to wait 28 days from the date the money left your account.
gourd 20 Apr 2007
In reply to Clif:
> (Cancelled my order (sourced elsewhere overnight at same price) and was promised a refund on 15th March but still not received. I've now put it in the hands of my credit card company as I can't get a response to either emails or tel calls ................

Strange as I did the same and whilst I had to phone a 2nd time to remind them that I was promised a refund on Monday, it was issued on Tuesday. 2 working days after I cancelled the order.

Still. This inefficiency can't be helping their business.......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...