UKC

Beal cobra's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bezzer555 29 Mar 2007
can anyone tell me what these ropes are like to use?
I was told to try the mammut genesis. but my first rope was a crappy twisted and kinky mammut, and after the first time I used my Beal flyer, I said I would never use any other make of rope.
ideas anyone??
Regis Von Goatlips 29 Mar 2007
In reply to bezzer555:

My rope is a Beal Flyer.
They are first rate aren't they?
I've not handled the Cobra sorry but chances are it too is choice.
I'd take the chance, bearing in mind waterproofing, diameter, or a different weave of sheath may change the feel, handling, etc.
bezzer555 29 Mar 2007
In reply to Regis Von Goatlips: my flyer only has a waterproof sheath, I'm not fussed about it having a golden dry core, I don't climb outdoors when its wet, and I'm not gonna take em ice climbing.
I think I will take the chance.
In reply to bezzer555:

Lemme know how it goes.
Chances are I'll stick with the company too.
bezzer555 29 Mar 2007
In reply to Regis Von Goatlips: yeah, I will
Juki 29 Mar 2007
In reply to bezzer555:
I have a 50m Genesis and a 60m Cobra. Genesis feels a bit softer but the dry coating of the Cobra is much better. That's the only difference I've noticed. Both get twisted and kinky if you use fig-8 or munter hitch.

Both are good ropes.
In reply to Juki:
> (In reply to bezzer555)
> Both get twisted and kinky if you use fig-8 or munter hitch.

ACH again with the figure 8 gripes.
I've had folks demonstrate for me how those cheesy belay/rappel devices that are secured to a harness with a bit of thin cord are prefferable; the sheath turns over the core it seems thus contributing to coiling probs and can weaken the lot in the end.
And in retrospect I can see that perhaps the 8 is part of the cause of coiling issues in the past to a degree.
BUT I think I'll stick to the 8.
Hey, I'm getting older so it's my responsibility to be stubborn!
......isn't it? seems traditional anyhow.
 Paul Bowen 30 Mar 2007
In reply to bezzer555:

I have a pair of beal cobras 50m 8.6mm non dry treated have had them for 18months. They handle really well not noticed any twisting kinking,nice weight to.. all my mates have them aswell same length but dry treated again all fine. We all bought them in arco summer 2005 i bought 2 pairs at the bargain price of 105euros/pair £70 the dry treated were 128 euros £85.. would have bought more if they had them.
I also have a pair of 60m mammut genesis dry treated ropes which are now 6 years old, they still handle well though a little stiffer and fluffier they cost £170/80 pair here in britain
Given the choice I would probably go for the beal but there's not much in it..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...