UKC

Beal Booster 9.7 vs MAmmut Galaxy 10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thomaspassmore 04 Apr 2007
Hi
I am going alpine climbing with a friend in Bolivia in July.
I am just about to buy a rope, and have narrowed it down to one of the following:

Beal Booster 9.7 x 50m Dry - 87
http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/Outdoor/ProductDetails.aspx?language=en-GB&am...

Mammut Galaxy 10mm x 50m Dry - 90
http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/Outdoor/ProductDetails.aspx?language=en-GB&am...

Which of them would you recommend. There is only 3 pounds in the price difference.

Thanks alot
tom
i.munro 04 Apr 2007
In reply to thomaspassmore:

I bought a Beal 9.7mm. Not sure if it was the booster, but
struggled to find a belay device that would work well with it. It's thin & very slick.

Finally settled on a DMM bugette which is tiny and probably therefore good for alpine climbing.
The combination seems great but had to try quite a few belay devices first.

However make sure you sort this out before going away.
I bugg**ed a holiday by not doing so.( You try buying DMM gear on Kalymnos)

Ian
 benji 04 Apr 2007
In reply to i.munro: Surely if a belay device works fine with double ropes of 8.5mm then it will easily work well with a 9.7mm rope? It isn't really that different to the norm surely?

Tom- the website says the galaxy is 60m- not sure whether we'll want to be lugging 60m of rope around when we don't need to...although it might come in handy for abseiling. The galaxy is a good rope- the first one I got although its been retired now..
In reply to thomaspassmore: But if you look carefully, you will see that it is actually a 50m rope

BEnji - do I know you?
 nz Cragrat 04 Apr 2007
In reply to benji:

What about the Beal 9.1 single then?

The JOKER is in effect at the same time a single rope, a half rope and a twin rope.
This rope will be loved by the most extreme climbers, seeking lightness and easy running, as much as by more traditional climbers seeking a multi-purpose rope for ridge routesor classic face routes, mixed ice and snow, or snow alone.

STRONG POINTS:
• Multi use.
• Ultra light.
• Ultra smooth.

ATTENTION :
Used as a ‘single’ this rope may not be grippable by all hands, and in all devices: in effect its fineness makes it a rope which demands expert holding and controlling. ‘Classic’ devices, designed for higher diameter ropes, will give reduced braking, and some self-locking auto-brakes may simply not work.
In reply to thomaspassmore:
any idea which is a better quality rope?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...