UKC

Gorges du tarn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ramon Marin 03 May 2007
Will it be too hot to climb at the end of august? Has anyone been there at that time of the year? And how long is the transfer from the airport to the crags? We are thinking for a long weekend.

cheers

Ramon
 John2 03 May 2007
In reply to ramon marin martinez: I've been there in late September when the temperature was fine - doesn't help you with August though. We did it in a long weekend flying to Montpellier - no problem at all.
OP Ramon Marin 03 May 2007
In reply to John2:

How long is the transfer from montpellier?

thanks
pamplemouse 03 May 2007
In reply to ramon marin martinez:

It's 2.5 hours from montpellier to the tarn by car. Rodez is a lot closer (only 60km away or so) but doesn't have so many flights and you will miss out on the Millau viaduct.

There will be some crags in the shade some of the time but it will be hot. IT will be rammed with kayaks and motorhomes inching their way up and down the gorge.

The climbing will still be good though
 Gareth H 03 May 2007
In reply to ramon marin martinez: I've been in August and had no problems, its fairly hot but never unplasantly so and you can often find crags in the shade. Overall I definately recommend it.

Gareth
In reply to Gareth H:
What's the climbing like? Any steep crags?
Thanks
pamplemouse 03 May 2007

yes lots from the gently overhanging to the very very steep. You won't find many slabs.
In reply to pamplemouse:
sounds like my cup of tea, hate slabs
 Jeff25 03 May 2007

Ramon,

I climbed there in the first week of September last year and it was fine. Mostly in T shirt - some without but can get funny winds up the valley so can be a bit cold even. (one day). I'd say youre hitting it at just the right time of year. Nice canoing down the river as well from the 101 local places and great crepes in St. Etiene.

The stuff is steep but not too hard to OS if youre looking to push this aspect. It also ranges in length with Gullich being short and Tennesse sector being longgggg. There are also some major soft touches like Arnaque.com if youre looking for a hard RP.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...