UKC

Alpkit Carbonlite Trekking Poles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 21 May 2007
I'm thinking of buying a pair of Alpkit carbonlite trekking poles.

Are they any good?
nb290 21 May 2007
In reply to Removed User: yes, they are, but I have slight doubts about durability. I've had mine for about a year and on one of the mid sections, the top layer of carbon is coming off. Unless the process continues this won't make them break; for now it just compromises strength. I'm told by an engineer that the durability of carbon products depends hugely on how well they are made: the fibers are held together by resin - not a well-developed technology yet. Some do it well, others don't. Perhaps the Far-Eastern companies used by Alpkit are perfectly up to the job, but looking at my pole I'm not totally sure about this. On the other hand, if you want a bomb-proof pole this light made from a decent aluminium alloy by a company such as Komperdell, you'll pay at least twice as much as for Carbonlites.
herbert the furry 21 May 2007
In reply to Removed User:

I find mine great. Very light. Ideal if you use them just occasionally or for the downhills only. Maybe get something more sturdy if you will use them all day, day after day. I had to reglue a handle grip but otherwise have had no probs.

Herb
 daviesp2 22 May 2007
In reply to Removed User: I have had a pair since xmas. The only problem I had was the snow baskets disintegrated after a few days wandering around the Cairngorms. A quick email resulted in a new pair of more robust baskets arriving. Otherwise they have been excellent.
 Wingnut 22 May 2007
In reply to daviesp2:
Yep, had the same problem . . . managed to trash the old snow baskets during the Glencoe meet. Not had a chance to test the new ones on snow yet (will have to wait for next winter : but the new design looks far more robust.
 CJD 22 May 2007
In reply to Removed User:

iv'e got some - they seem fine.

I never managed to get the snow baskets onto mine though they seem to work fine without. Various people have tried to get them on, with no success. Most odd.
 Herdwickmatt 22 May 2007
In reply to Removed User: My girlfriend had a pair for lands end/john o'groats. Served her well much lighter than my leki's. She eventually caught one of the poles in a fence whilst we we in slovenia. Alpkit provided cheap replacements though. I tried them and found them a bit to light, but then i am clumsy boy...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...