UKC

crux or POD?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goosebump 22 May 2007
Hello,
Your opinion sought:
I really like the look of the Crux AK47 (would love an extending lid version, but Im size 8, so a size 1 sack it will have to be),
ALternatively, a POD cragsac or maybe Black Ice. Though Ive not tried these on....

Both equally good? Which one fits skinny people best? (yes I know I should try them on before buying, but nearest retailer miles and miles away).

Thanks!
brothersoulshine 22 May 2007
In reply to goosebump:

Is there really a rucksack called an AK-47?

<shakes head in bemusement>
 David Barlow 22 May 2007
Go for the Crux, because they are strong but very lightweight. PODs, while bombproof, are heavy. I have a Crux.
 John2 22 May 2007
In reply to goosebump: What about a POD Thin Ice if you want a light sack?
 tall paul 22 May 2007
In reply to John2: thin ice's are nice but you can strip a black ice down if your bothered about weight. see what 'pod says' on black ice ...

http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_POD_56.html
chickenpox 22 May 2007
In reply to goosebump: Is your heart set on those options. Your pretty skinny at a size 8 so I can reasure you my ex used my http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2514
came back from her trip and went out and bought one. It has a huge extended top and is a realy nice bit of kit. Maybe worth a look.
 nniff 22 May 2007
In reply to goosebump:

Aiguille Alpine Zephyr (with an extending lid, and lots of loose change in your pockets). Phone them up and tell them what you want.........
 thin bob 22 May 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine: even more, there's a band called the Tottenham AK-47's.......and Tottenham 5-0 [think Hawaii]
OP goosebump 22 May 2007
In reply to chickenpox:
Thanks for your suggestion - I had a look and whilst it looks pretty good, Im not sure its big enough for full rack, plus essential other gubbins? Like the gear loops on the outside though - useful if multi pitching.
 SiWood 22 May 2007
In reply to goosebump:

Not too small for essential gubbins.... just when you add "non-essential" gubbins as well!! In that case 40L is about right.

Stephen Reid 22 May 2007
In reply to tall paul: Actually our info on Black Ices is out of date - the latest lot are even lighter, ca 750g!
chickenpox 22 May 2007
In reply to goosebump: For an idea of how big the extended size is. On a normal weekend I'll pack, rope, rack, bivvi, mat, sleeper, stove, pans, clothes, food, and 2 ltrs of water in the doodar compartment other normal stuff, lights n guides maps etc.
Its probably more of a 45 ltr when used to full capacity.
 PeterM 22 May 2007
In reply to goosebump:

If it fits, I would suggest the POD Black Ice. Excellent fit (I take size 2) and can be stripped down. Lid is not only extendable, but removeable and turns into a bum bag which is surprisingly useful for when you dump the 'sac and nip up to a summit and back - you can still carry a few essentials. The waistbelt is removeable and the rucsac is still very useable with out the lid and belt. It is also hugely comfortable to carry and very robust.

HTH,

PeterM
Removed User 22 May 2007
In reply to goosebump:

Pod
 Merlin 23 May 2007
In reply to goosebump: I had an AK47 before I got my Arc'teryx pack, then the macpac pursuit 50.

I was rid of the AK47 within a year because the lid was absolutley awfull, and I mean useless!

I would have kept it if I'd had the floating lid version, although it wasn't available at the time. If your planning to load the thing with rope,rack and other gear,and your just slightly over the 47ltrs available the lid becomes a pain in the neck as its sooo small.

The pockets on the lid are tediously tiny too.

Don't buy the crux unless you get the floating lid version.

In reply to goosebump: i have a black ice and a crux and while my pod is heavy its in my opinion better
In reply to goosebump: neither aiguille Alpine Zyphur.

http://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=28

Lighter, more bombproof and cheaper, they will also shop bits off or add them for you if you desire, ie gear loops on hip belt.

But no one listens to me.

Paul F 23 May 2007
In reply to goosebump:

Had a similar dilemma last year and settled for a Pod Thin Ice.
My other half wanted a new alpine pack this year(and is a size 8 5'4") and has now got an OMM Villain.
It's only drawback is that it doesn't have a removeable/floating lid (which means when it's full i will have to carry any spare stuff!!)

http://www.theomm.com/packs_Villain45_10_RL.html

In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: If you do have get a POD, get thin ice, looks like the dogs.
 Jim V 23 May 2007
In reply to goosebump: pod
 Outdoor Eddie 23 May 2007
In reply to Jim V:

I'm on my second AK47 - I rate it highly
 DAVE381 23 May 2007
In reply to goosebump: I own both and the crux is slimmer but the pod is the better made (by a cats wisker) in my hummble opinion sorry crux.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...