UKC

Skye - June - Midges!!!?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
SJD 29 May 2007
Anyone know when the midges come out to play? I am planningon being up in early june to have a crack at the ridge so obviously will be spending most of my time in a tent watching the rain coming down... just wondering how bad the midges will be...

Cheers,

Si
 Jack Frost 29 May 2007
In reply to SJD:

They will be very bad.
 220bpm 29 May 2007
In reply to SJD:

Even tho this has to be a question asked from under a bridge.....they will be terrifying unless its windy.
 SouthernSteve 29 May 2007
There are two types of rain in Skye, normal rain and just when that finishes the insect rain begins. My advice, apart from going in early May, would be to

1.)Get a net hood for your head (a whole body one would be better).
2.)Bathe in Avon skin-so-soft and other repellents.
3.)Consider bed and breakfast or hut accommodation

If camping - Glenbrittle might be marginally better than Sligachan (and definitely quieter!)

Skye's reputation for midges does make wonder whether there is an element of jest in the original question.
bergalia 29 May 2007
In reply to SJD: June,July August early September. Lavendar oil dabbed on the cheeks and forehead works wonders...or smoke a pipe....
OP Anonymous 29 May 2007
In reply to SJD:
They were very bad in Glenelg this weekend, so Skye will be equally awful.
SJD 29 May 2007
hmmm.

damn, i was toying with the idea of camping but if its bad i just cant bring myself to be part of a midge-meal.

i was hoping that glenB being on the seafront wouldnt be too bad. but looks like that wont be the case..

Fume Troll 29 May 2007
In reply to bergalia: And April and May and probably October.

Cheers,

FT.
 CurlyStevo 29 May 2007
In reply to SJD:
Pray for wind?

Although apparently last summer they weren't too bad on Skye. I hardly needed the midge net when camping on the west coast.
 Trangia 29 May 2007
In reply to SJD:

What did midges used to eat before there were climbers and hill walkers? I've never seen a sheep on the Ridge.
Tim Chappell 29 May 2007
In reply to SJD:

Seafront???

Ho ho ho.

I've been midged on the seafront IN FORT WILLIAM.

SouthernSteve 29 May 2007
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Was it raining that hard
prana 29 May 2007
In reply to bergalia:
> (In reply to SJD) Lavendar oil dabbed on the cheeks and forehead works wonders...or smoke a pipe....

Crushed bog myrtle seems to repel them, a bit.
Of course, what you really need is eau de Norris Muir, coz he never gets bit

Steve Brewer 29 May 2007
In reply to SJD: Glen Nevis Sunday morning, after a freezing night and they were rapacious. And is was windy (though not in the trees, amongst the crags).

SJD 30 May 2007
In reply to CurlyStevo:

do people normally use one of those mide head-net things when mincing around at the campsite??
 CurlyStevo 30 May 2007
In reply to SJD:
depends, certainly towards dusk they can get pretty bad. Not uncommon for the campsite to be completely dead at dusk with the only people about completely covered up, even with gloves on, and a hood covering all their face!
SJD 30 May 2007
In reply to CurlyStevo:

oh christ, not sure i want that...

I stayed at teh campsite near plantation end of stanage once. Never again will i endure such hell.

SteveD 30 May 2007
In reply to SJD: I do, I hate the little buggers and the sea shore doesn't help much, they like seaweed as well. Remember to dust yourself down before getting in the tent. I burn an anti midge candle as well Carefully of course.

Steve D
SJD 30 May 2007
In reply to SteveD:

right then. a hostel it will be methinks.

I am told (never been) that on the ridge there are no midges... please please please let it be true...
 CurlyStevo 30 May 2007
In reply to SJD:
When the midgies are bad in Scotland they make the north Lees campsight ones look tame!
 lee birtwistle 30 May 2007
In reply to SJD: You can take my mother in law if you want. Last year she was bragging that because she is scottish she has never been bitten in her life. Stayed at sconser and all the midges on the island bit her and left us well alone.
SJD 30 May 2007
In reply to lee birtwistle:

heh, serves her right?

maybe i could take her along ..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...