/ Vapour rise?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dan Leach - on 29 May 2007
Hear lots of great stuff about it.
But is the trail jacket worth the extra dosh in preference to the trail top?
The jacket has a hood and a full length zip.
Dan
Andy Hobson - on 29 May 2007
In reply to dleach:

What are you going to be using it for? If climbing, you don't need a full length zip as you'll have a harness on. A hood is definately useful, especially for winter climbing (it'll fit nicely under a helmet and is more effective than a balaclava and stopping snow/ice going down the back of your neck) or in bad weather. Great bits of kit.
Mr Ed - on 30 May 2007
In reply to dleach:

Trail top is much more closely cut- more like a base layer. Trail jacket is still tight but will go on over some layers underneath.

HamishD - on 30 May 2007
In reply to dleach:

Had mine for 1 to 2 years now and washed it for the first time last night (surpisingly didn't smell at all bad) as it was starting to look a bit too grubby. The colour of the water that came out was grim!

I have the smock and like the close fit, however get someone to hold down your t-shirt if taking it off in a pub or everyone will see your chest!
waps100 - on 30 May 2007
In reply to Hamish Dunn:

> however get someone to hold down your t-shirt if taking it
> off in a pub or everyone will see your chest!

I used to think this too, but with a lot of practice you can peel it off from the bottom without exposing yourself :-)
task-o on 30 May 2007 - MSPPIX.host90.snowandrock.com
In reply to Hamish Dunn:
>
> I have the smock and like the close fit, however get someone to hold down your t-shirt if taking it off in a pub or everyone will see your chest!

This style of top is designed to work without a base layer as the micro pile wicks moisture better than just about any other base layer material. As usual, there's a good article on www.psychovertical.com about shelled micro pile tops. Whichever one you go for, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
dj_brigham05 - on 30 May 2007
In reply to dleach: the smock now has a hood. i ave this and it seems to be doing the job amazingly so far!
Guy Hurst - on 31 May 2007
In reply to dleach: I find thin pile jackets better than the smocks they're easier to ventilate without taking off completely. Just out of interest, marmot do a very similar top which is a bit cheaper and fits me better than the rab, which is a bit tight under the arms.
Michael Ryan - on 08 Jun 2007
Ridge - on 08 Jun 2007
In reply to Guy Hurst:
> (In reply to dleach) Just out of interest, marmot do a very similar top which is a bit cheaper and fits me better than the rab, which is a bit tight under the arms.

If the OP is going to buy a Rab, make sure you try it first. Like Guy, Rab VR stuff is cut too tight for me.
Alasdair - on 11 Jun 2007
In reply to dleach:

I got last years trail top from Tower Ridge for a great price a few months ago. I chose it over the jacket as already own the photon hoody. The top is a fantastic bit of kit with or without a baselayer. Highly recommend it as part of your system, between windproof and full on insulation.

Hope that helps

ads.ukclimbing.com
JimB on 11 Jun 2007 - 87.113.13.48.plusnet.pte-ag1.dyn.plus.net
In reply to dleach: Depends whether you like jacket designs. I find them easier to put on and off. My VR jacket is my favourite bit of outdoors kit. It's fairly water-resistant but thin enough to put a waterproof over. I only ever needed extra insulation last winter when standing still. The pocket isn't big enough for a map, though

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.