UKC

Crux X2 Storm Vs Macpac Minaret?????

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JDSwain 05 Jun 2007
Aye up,

Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations of either of the above tents? Macpac Minaret, Crux X2 Storm or the Terra Nova Voyager.

Am looking for a lightweight but strong 4 season mountain tent that does not cost the earth. Looking for under 3kg hence why i've found these three. I've got a heavier weight 3 season tent but am after a lighter weight tent for 'en-route' so to speak.

Anyone?

Cheers,

John

Caralynh 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Swain16:

I have the Crux Storm (and the Bomb actually, but that's irrelevant) and I like it. I haven't tried the Minaret so can't compare them. However, from a psychological point of view, the semi geodesic structure of the Crux will always make me sleep easier in high winds than the Minaret's tunnel design, despite what I've heard about the Minaret being bombproof.
If you want any specific views on aspects of the Crux, just ask me
 DGY 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Swain16:
Crux wins against the TN, better overall tent.
Sorry can't comment about the Macpac
Iain Forrest 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Swain16:
I have the Macpac Minaret.
I like it - it's warm, stays dry pretty well, and seems stable and tough.
It does tend to make a lot of noise when it's windy, but I've known it to withstand gales when some other tents didn't.
I can't compare it with the others, as I haven't tried them.
 JB 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Iain Forrest:

I have the MAcpac and like it. As others have said tends to make a bit of a noise when its windy but never had any problems with it. A bit heavier than some tents now that TN have reduced the weight of some of their tents.

One thing I do like is that you can pitch it fly only for a lightweight option in good weather. You can't do this with the TN as the poles sleeve thru the inner (I think).
In reply to Swain16: I don't think the mineret or voyager are classed as 4 season mountain tents.

I have a Macpac Olympus, which is very similar to the Mineret, but has the advantage of haveing 2 doors and is quite alot bigger and not alot heavier. I think the olympus is a suposed to be a stronger design as well. I've used mine in some pretty fowl weather in the Uk and it has been fine.
 dek 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:
. I've used mine in some pretty fowl weather in the Uk and it has been fine.

When its 'Chicken' it down like?

Banned User 77 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Swain16: The Voyager is great.

I used mine in all seasons. Took some massive winds.
In reply to dek: i pseant ages trying to work out if i should have written fowl or foul!
 dek 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: U r A pseant flucker young Tam!
 moo 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Swain16:

I have a minaret if I was gonna buy a tent now it'd be a crux x2, they are better imho
 TMM 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Swain16:

I have had a TN Voyager and a Minaret in the past. They are both goods tents. I thought the Minaret was slight claustrophobic for two 6ft+ people & kit. The porch is also a wee bit small.

The TN Voyager has more space but is less stable in the wind.

I currently have a Hilleberg Nallo2 which I love! It's a great bit of kit. More space and lighter than the Minaret. You can pitch it inner and outer simultaneously for a super-fast pitch. The materials are top-spec and it is a full 4 season tent. In the summer you can leave the inner behind and just pitch the fly with or without a groundsheet.

Gets my vote!
 Merlin 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Swain16: I used the Minaret (new version) for a year and found it difficult to pitch so that the fly sheet was tight, so it flapped. Even though the new model had tensioners at the base of the sheet.

Since I've sold it and bought a Hilleberg jannu which like the crux tent is semi-geodesic so its less hastle to pitch. And more stable.

Is the crux inner pitch first? I think thats what put me off.

Wes 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Merlin:
>
> Is the crux inner pitch first?

It is indeed
OP JDSwain 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Swain16: Cheers guys, of great help.

What i'm really after is a strong 4 season tent that is lightweight, i've done loads of research and have worked in a gear shop so i know that things as such are hard to come by. The price must also not be above the beyond as it will be an 18th present and i've already had some bits so it would be a bit optimistic to ask for a £500+ tent.
phil magarry 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Merlin:

The minaret was the worst tent I have ever owned.

You are right about the Jannu - lighter than the minaret but stronger, longer, wider and higher.
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

I have an older Minaret. It was definitely classed as a 4-season mountain tent. Not sure if it has changed but doesn't appear to have done so looking at the pics and seeing newer onees.

To the OP - I like the Minaret though if there's two of you, and one's over 6 foot, the other needs to be much smaller to have a pleasant night. It has a weird angled footprint that, if you pull back to enlarge the porch means you can't fit in it at my height.

It is however perfect for long-term use, single person (I used it for a month in Patagonia) as there's space to lounge about and have gear inside with you, without being too heavy for backpacking (though lighter would obviously be better). Regarding stability, I had it out and about a lot for 3-4 day trips there and it continually withstood some mental katabatic winds.
Canchero 06 Jun 2007
In reply to Swain16:
I don't know about the Minaret (it has good reviews though), but the Crux is a great tent. I bought one after doing quite a bit of research .
Although I haven't experienced serious weather (except for a few snowstorms), it got very good reviews in almost every category (wind stability, storm protection, ventilation) at backpackinglight.com, when compared to MH EV-2, Trango, Nemo Tenshi, and the Summit Extreme (older version).
You can get the 2005 model for 150 pounds!! at crux.uk.com as a direct sale offer (I believe these are sale samples, but you can check with them).
Also, what is key for me (since I live overseas) is that their customer service is top notch.
While they are roomy inside, because of steep walls, you may need a longer inner depending on your hight (check their specs online).
All the tents you are looking at seem good choices though.
Good luck.
 Nutkey 07 Jun 2007
Got the Crux Storm, like it, not had any really bad weather yet though. I've got the yellow one. Easy to find in the dark...
OP JDSwain 07 Jun 2007
In reply to Nutkey: Ha, i'd always be after a bright tent as i'm colour blind and don ney know how many times i've lost my tent, its a nice dark green that to me just blends in to the hill!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...