UKC

Crux & Aiguille Sacs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jonny Tee 69 23 Jun 2007
After a new sac for mountain rock etc, old Berghaus Ice Star has finally to be retired (I'd buy another if they still made em). So looking for a good quality sac.

Took a gander at the Crux AK47 today and gotta say some of the components felt a tad flimsy. Could seem bits easily getting destroyed. Sac might be a wee bit big but seemed to sit well. Anyone had any bother with sac? I guess the 37 is similar but smaller?

What about the Aiguille sacs? Any recommendations in the 40litre ish range from them? Heard good stuff about them but never seen one.

Cheers
 Up High 23 Jun 2007
In reply to Jonny Tee 69: Crux sacs looks flimsy but are built to last they take so much abuse its untrue.
They look flimsy cause they are light weight ideal for Alpine stuff. Mines done loads of trips and is still going strong, the newer version also has many improvements, cant beat them.
 BenTiffin 23 Jun 2007
In reply to Jonny Tee 69: I think mine is the Aiguille Super Couloir (45l - 55l) and superb. It's a basic sac with nothing gimmicky on it but as an all-round cragging/scottish winter/alps multi day sac, it does the job right well.

Thoroughly recommended although Adrian makes a fairly large range - have a look on their website.

Ben

edmonio 24 Jun 2007
In reply to Jonny Tee 69: I've had an AK47 for the last year it's been pretty good considering the amountof abuse it's had
In reply to Jonny Tee 69: I've got 2 aiguille sacks, the zyphur (45l) and the cirrus (33l). They are both well made and durable sacks. They are however still quite light weight, 1kg and 800g respectively, this is due to a fairly mininmalist design, with no fancy back systems, or techie hip belts or other useless gizmos.

The super coloir is an older version of the zyphur, it is heavier and more featured.

The also do a beg, called the stratos, which is 40litres and sound like it would suit you needs.

Aiguille stuff is mail order so if you want th bag adjusting, for example gear loops on the hipbelt, then they will be more than happy to do this for you.

Can't recomend them enough. HTH
OP Jonny Tee 69 24 Jun 2007
In reply to Jonny Tee 69:

Cheers for that Tom.
OP Jonny Tee 69 25 Jun 2007

bump
noxious 26 Jun 2007

I've got an AK47 and an Aiguille Cirrus (33L). While the Crux seems quite high tech and very well thought out, I tend to grab the Aiguille through habit when packing. The Crux really is VERY light and the material is better than it feels. [I also have an old A35 that had the lesser fabric and that feels like teabag quality - but that is fine too]. The Aiguille, by comparison does seem a bit "cottage industry". It really is a basic old design that seems to work. the fabric and construction are first class and if you put 5 minutes thought into packing; it is surprisingly comfortable despite the rather basic harness. The 37L stratos or the 47L Zenith should suit. If you want a floating lid (personally they drive me mad) get the Zephyr.

Tom Ripley is the Aiguille knowledge guru and if you are interested, I'm sure Aiguille will help further if necessary.

Unless you're tall you've missed out on the Crux website sale.

Both are good. I suppose it depends on price and whether you are wooed by the NASA levels of design that Crux have employed or are happy with UK made simplicity.
In reply to noxious: Its an old design that works and is comfy so why change it for somthing flashier and less practical?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...