UKC

Fuel for Primus Omnifuel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
What's the cheapest and cleanest way to run one of these for a week in Scotland (outer hebrides)?

Obviously petrol is way cheaper than Coleman White or equivalent fuels, but it'll need cleaned more often.

It can run on LP Gas, but will that be cheaper or more expensive than white fuel over the course of a week?

It says it uses about 180g of gas per hour but doesn't have any specs for other fuels.

Also, is there anywhere tha sell colemna white in bigger quantities than 500ml?

Cheers in advance!
 The Lemming 24 Aug 2007
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

I don't have an Omnifuel but I do have a Dragonfly where I always use Unleadded.

For me there have never been any issues of clogging after a weeks service on the hills provided that the fuel is new and not been stored in the shed for months on end.

Hopefully the same will happen for your Primus.

The reason I've never bought Coleman's Fuel is the cost. Colemans is about £12 per liter and unleadded £1.
 Guy Hurst 24 Aug 2007
In reply to Alasdair Fulton: Try lamp oil, which is a type of purified paraffin. You can get it at most hardware shops and it's a lot cheaper than Coleman fuel. It's always worked very well in my Primuis stove.
In reply to Guy Hurst: Is normal camping gas expensive? (as in cost/hour of cooking, not jiust cost/litre)

Is there much difference in volume of fuel used between different fuels?
 Guy Hurst 24 Aug 2007
In reply to Alasdair Fulton: Gas canisters are expensive per hour, but popular cos they're so easy to use. Cheapest per hour us unleaded, which I've only ever used a few times cos it's so dirty — a friend of mine reckons it's OK with his MSR XGK, but it seems to clog up my Primus. Paraffin and lamp oil are both very cheap but not quite as hot as petrol or Coleman fuel, I believe, but the difference is not significant, unless you're doing an ultralight trip.
 Guy Hurst 24 Aug 2007
In reply to Alasdair Fulton: Best way to save weight/money is always use a windshield when cooking — make one from a three or four layers of aluminium foil and a few tent pegs. Also, think about a pot cosy. I'm sure there have been threads on here about them. They mean you just have to heat whatever you're cooking to boiling point, slip the cosy on and let it cook itself.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...