UKC

alpine socks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 billy.granty 20 Oct 2007
im currently using a merino/polyester liner with a snow and rock expedition sock as my main sock. I just find that my feet are getting cold/damp very easily.

ive got salomon pro ice boots and think that they might have something to do with it.

however i want to experiment with different socks this winter and wondered what everybody thought of what they're using.

im tempted to try a higher wool content in both socks??

Stash 20 Oct 2007
In reply to billy.granty:
Try using thin smartwool ski sock instead of the liner and a light or medium smartwool over the top. I know they sound thicker but they are about the same as the combo you mentioned.
A higher wool content will be better as if your feet get damp at least the wool will still insulate when wet. it works for me
 Al Evans 20 Oct 2007
In reply to billy.granty: I have some electric socks (donated to me by Francoise) but I have not tried them out yet.
stizzy 21 Oct 2007
In reply to billy.granty: i've salomon pro ice and use salomon socks, the orange, black and grey ones, dont have any problems,though i dont use a liner just the one sock
 Lhod 21 Oct 2007

I use bridgedale thin liner socks (or S+R ones are similar), with smartwool mountaineering socks over. Always found them to work excellently.
 Andy Hobson 21 Oct 2007

Smartwool all the way. In the Alps and Scotland a combination of the liner and expedition socks has always worked for me. Sleep in your liners with the thicker ones by your chest to dry them out on multiday trips.
OP billy.granty 21 Oct 2007
In reply to Andy Hobson: smartwool seems to be the way forward. ive found my liners to be really good so ill have to get my hands on some thicker ones.
 Andy Hobson 21 Oct 2007

Quite easy to get hold of. Most of the major retailers seem to stock the expedition weight ones.

One thing that is worth noting is that they wear out faster than conventional socks. Although for me, the benefits of warmth and comfort outweigh this slight disadvantage.
Paul F 21 Oct 2007

You could always go with 'vapour barrier' socks if you're wearing them for several days.

http://www.rbhdesigns.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_...
Paul F 21 Oct 2007

Oh, and Andy K rates them

http://www.psychovertical.com/?rbhsocks
task-o 21 Oct 2007

Although merino works really well in clothing, I've found every pair of Smartwool socks I've had have worn out very quickly compared to the synthetic/wool mix one. Personally I think the heavy weight Thorlo or Bridgedale ones couple with thin liners work better - although for really cold weather the RBH vapour barrier socks look very interesting (I've yet to try them).
 Outdoor Eddie 22 Oct 2007
In reply to task-o:

Used to use Thorlo and then Smartwool but i am now totally converted to X Socks... no more sweaty feet - and they are shaped for Left and Right - brilliant!

http://www.x-socks.com/index.php?country=7700&langselect=true&XSID=...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...