UKC

plas y brenin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
thehobbit 20 Oct 2007
as anyone done a course here and if so what are their opinions
 bryn 20 Oct 2007
In reply to christopher m smith:

what kind of course?
thehobbit 21 Oct 2007
In reply to bryn: step up to leading
 bryn 21 Oct 2007
Their courses are run by qualified instructors on fixed dates. It works well if you are wanting to attend a course on your own and you find a course that suits your experience from their list of courses.

If their are 2 of you looking to lead then it would be worth booking a private instructor from the Association of Mountaineering Instructors:
http://www.ami.org.uk/freelance.htm
This may work out more viable as you will be able to discuss your plans and arrange dates and length of course to meet your requirments.

The basics of it are you need to find a company / organisation that gives you a good feel about what you want to do and that they use suitably qualified instructors (MIA, MIC or BMG).

Bryn
gollancz 21 Oct 2007
PYB are awesome. Done 2 courses there. Climbing and Alpine.
Absolutely top notch instructors. Great accommodation & grub in capel Curig. Also very chilled welcoming atmosphere.

couldn't recommend PYB enough and would never even bother looking elsewhere myself.
 SouthernSteve 21 Oct 2007

Plus points:
Instruction is excellent
Accomodation is good
The courses are generally not so serious and are fun

Minus points:
On a course you may get stuck with someone who has lied about their competancy, is having a bad week or with whom you do not gel. On one 'more advanced' course my companion could not even tie in to his harness!!

-------------

Other points:
1.) The Rock Improvers Course I would not recommend (introductory and leaders courses were very good) as the ratios early in the week make it far from specific to your needs
2.) I would go again, if I was taking someone I knew with me, but would consider it carefully if not.
3.) We have always ended up making long term climbing friends despite the distances, although this perhaps has just been serendipity.
chrisireland 21 Oct 2007
In reply to christopher m smith: I did a rock improvers course and the instructor/student ratio was 2:1, which was fine. Excellent instructors, and as already said, great atmosphere in the centre. Superb weekend.
 SouthernSteve 21 Oct 2007
In reply to chrisireland:
There was (? is) a week course long rock improvers course with ratios much higher than that for the first 3 days.
cleanbluesky 23 Oct 2007
> as anyone done a course here and if so what are their opinions

I've done two courses with them and can say that they are thoroughly nice guys, probably the best provider in Britain bar none and generally very experienced/skilled climbers to boot.

I went through the alps on a course with some of them, total balls to the wall stuff and can vouch they know their stuff
cleanbluesky 23 Oct 2007

One last thing to note is that PYB coffee is ****, find an alternative
 bryn 23 Oct 2007
In reply to cleanbluesky:
> (In reply to christopher m smith)
> [...]
>
> I've done two courses with them and can say that they are thoroughly nice guys, probably the best provider in Britain bar none and generally very experienced/skilled climbers to boot.
>
> I went through the alps on a course with some of them, total balls to the wall stuff and can vouch they know their stuff

Just interested in knowing if you have had experience with any other company (on similar courses) to come up with this conclusion?
 simon geering 24 Oct 2007

I did an transition to outdoor rock course there, first time on anything like this. Was very impressed. Instructors where good, very profesional and accomadating of trying to make sure everyone got what they were looking for from the course. They were also open to questions asside from what the focus of the day / course was and just seemed keen to pass on their knowledge and enjoyment for climbing. Accomadation was perfectly suitable and well maintained, and the food was supprisingly good.

The other interesting thing is that as you are in a community surounded entirely by climbers and those inteested in outdoor sports there is an infectious atmosphere there that gives a strangely addictive buz to the place, would recomend a week course for that reason.

I'm intending to return for a learn to lead week in the new year.
 Ian McNeill 24 Oct 2007

I have to agree with Bryn look at the smaller independent providers, you might well strike up a relationship which develops into a long term one where they get to know you and your aspirations. Then make things happen for you that a weeks course cant come close to, going direct to Instructors who have the flexibility to do what you want rather start out at 10 and than stop for tea at 5pm.

Plus 1:1 or 1:2 you can achieve more and get true value for you money also the chances of a mis match on ability are greatly reduced.

good luck in your search for some instruction....
Vivvi 24 Oct 2007

Learn to lead course last year. Was excellent. Gave me the much needed confidence and kick up the arse to actually do it even though I was more than capable before I went.
 davidwright 24 Oct 2007
In reply to christopher m smith: Have used them for SPA training and assesment and found them good. I've heard any bad reports about them from other people I know who have taken courses there either. If you are looking for something very specific then something more free form than an advertised course might be better but about a substatial chunk of the posts on here recomending freelance guides above pyb come from freelance guides.....
 bryn 24 Oct 2007
In reply to davidwright:

What is also important to remember is that a big provider like pyb use lots of free-lance instructors who work for several companies and run their own stuff too, so the quality of the course comes from the instructor and not the organisation.

All I am trying to do is show that there is an alternative where you can choose the programme, dates and who comes along etc

mary 24 Oct 2007
I was disappointed with PYB. I did a learn to lead course and really wanted to be pushed, I felt held back. Maybe they thought I was not ready, if so, I think I should have received feedback.
The main feedback was a promotional half hour about PYB at the end of the course.

At times some members of the group received what seemed to me impatient criticism rather than constructive analysis of skills.
It was the end of the season and I feel some instructors ere looking forward to getting home. Imagine a summer of beginners??
I dont think staff were intentionally short.
Lovely facilities.
 mary 24 Oct 2007
Also, I have found 1-1 and small groups and friends best for me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...