UKC

What temperatures to expect in New Zealand?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
CJH 03 Nov 2007
I'm off to New Zealand at the end of the year and I'm wondering what boots to take for ice and alpine stuff. For anyone whos climbed in NZ can you tell me how cold it gets whilst in the mountains in summer? Is it similar to European alps? Also, how cold does it get in winter? Similar climate to Rjukan, alps, or a bit different?

The reason I ask is because I'm using Vasque Super Alpinista boots, and I find them quite heavy, and a bit clonky for ice work. I'm thinking of getting lighter boots, Freneys, etc.... but dont want my feet to freeze if its gonna be super cold!

Any help greatfully received......
 nz Cragrat 03 Nov 2007
In reply to CJH:

Well I have worn plastics all my NZ mountainering days - they suffice.
CJH 03 Nov 2007
In reply to CJH: What sort of temps should we expect, is it going to be well below freezing everyday in the valleys in winter? Also I imagine it be pretty similar in terms of temps on the mountains high up to what we get in the European alps, chilly at night, and not to bad in the day???

Rough averages obviously as I now it depends on the day and the year etc..
 nz Cragrat 03 Nov 2007
In reply to CJH:

Depends on what valleys really and altitude.

I found Mt Blanc (summit) in summer was colder than most NZ winter.

-10C would be cold in winter but you can also get that in summer or overnight
CJH 03 Nov 2007
In reply to CJH: Thanks for the info, will probably get some lighter weight boots, as mine are possibly a bit overkill when I could save weight and use so lighter boots... Looking forward to the trip! Will be there in 8 weeks! YEY!
 nz Cragrat 03 Nov 2007
In reply to CJH:

AdrianC is way more active in the mountains than me these days so he should be able to help - I am still living in the 80's in terms of Mountain memories... ie he knows new gear better
 chris fox 04 Nov 2007
In reply to nz Cragrat:

Be prepaired for anything! Heading up to Empress hut i was in a T-shirt, baking hot and sweating buckets, then the next day it was -6c and blowing it's ass off! Stuck in the hut for 4 days, it was zero c in the hut!

I've climbed there in plastics but then changed to Nepal's. My mate Howie (chch based) climbs in Trango's and he is ok in both summer and winter.

CJD 04 Nov 2007
In reply to nz Cragrat:

AdrianC's likely to be offline-ish until Tuesday night as he's just set off from here to head over there, but I'll point him at the thread...
 AdrianC 04 Nov 2007
In reply to CJD: Gosh. The pressure.

As has been said, be prepared for all sorts. In summer you should be fine in something lighter but if you're going to be on a shady south face in a southerly it can still be pretty chilly. I tend to use some Salomon leathers from about November onwards but carry a couple of plastic bags that can go inside boots, over socks to help keep my feet warm if the boots get soaked. I'd say it is comparable to the European Alps in summer if you discount the really high peaks like Mt Blanc.

In winter you might suffer a bit more. Two acquaintances both came off the South Face of Douglas in September this year with frostbite (serious enough for hyperbaric chambers but, as far as I know, no lost bits,) after climbing it in leathers. Personally I use ski-touring boots for winter routes but would want plastics otherwise.

It depends a bit on what you're doing and how well you get on in the cold but if you're planning any winter Alpine trips then you might need to think about the beefier option. Remember that you'll almost certainly need snow-shoes if you're not skiing, too.

Feel free to drop me an email if there's anything else.
Butch Hammond 04 Nov 2007
In reply to CJH: whatever you wear just make sure that you are able to walk in them for a very long distance with a very large pack. Approaches are serious in NZ - in winter Skis are really the only way you can get out and about to do anything.

They have had a lot of late snow this season so hopefully everything should be well filled in for a little while.

enjoy
 nz Cragrat 04 Nov 2007
In reply to Butch Hammond:

Umm on the high stuff but you can get into Wye without skis, the Temple and Bush/Twin Streams can be accessed without and the Darrans and Arthurs Pass not really needed.

A recent winter ascent.... used a Helicopter !!
Removed User 05 Nov 2007
In reply to CJH:
I find temps 'reasonably' similar to European Alps, and tend to prefers leathers for summer, plastics for winter. Tend to have a lot of wet, slushy glaciers, so good waterproofing and gaiters tend to be more important than Europe (super lightweight boots get trashed quickly on moraine).
The 'type' of trip has more bearing on boot choice. Eg if flying into Plateau/Pioneer huts, would go for plastics as most travel will be on snow. For valley based climbing where you dash up and down the snowy bits (eg Aspiring) I may tend towards light leathers (or carry plastics up valley in winter).
So bringing both would be ideal, or a warmer leather like Nepal or Cumbre is probably best to cover almost everything.
Tim Chappell 05 Nov 2007
CJD-- if you're planning to climb in NZ, don't forget your umbrella. For footwear I'd recommend wellies, or possibly flippers even.
mikeck 05 Nov 2007
In reply to CJH:
If you are climbing - in my experience, the most important thing to have is patience.
Also, not to be overlooked is the serious potential for sunburn in NZ. I think the ozone hole does affect things and the sun is a lot more fierce than in the Alps. We found the temperatures pretty similar to the Alps overall -but that was in January / February i.e. summer.
 CJD 05 Nov 2007
In reply to Tim Chappell:

what a strange thing to say.
 nz Cragrat 07 Nov 2007
In reply to CJD:

The weathers not THAT bad
 CJD 07 Nov 2007
In reply to nz Cragrat:

can't possibly be as bad as it was in the UK this summer...
Gerard 10 Nov 2007
In reply to CJH:

Have been wearing my Scarpa Freneys all this winter in NZ ( which was about 6 trips out !! ) and they were fine.

However if I was doing longer mtnn routes in NZ over winter I'd wear my plastics ( having had frostnip from not doing so - oops!)

For summer something like Freneys or similar would suffice I think.

Gerard
CJH 10 Nov 2007
In reply to CJH: Thanks for all the advice on here guys! I think I will stick with the Vasque boots that I have got at the minute...
Seems like they will do for all the climbing I intend to do, summer and winter. I can then get the touring boots out for the routes into longer stuff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...