UKC

jetboil or msr reactor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martynlj 15 Nov 2007
can anyone advise which of these 2 similar stoves to buy? For winter trips, not expeditions. cost very different but not a major factor.
 TobyA 15 Nov 2007
In reply to martynlj: In the gear section of either the Rock and Ice or Climbing website, you can download a side by side review of the two and see which sounds more like the one for you.

I've got a Jetboil which works well, but I've never even seen the MSR one in a shop - so have no idea how they compare.
scrubmunched 15 Nov 2007
In reply to martynlj: Jetboils in my opinion are very chunky to squeeze in your sac, rubbish to get going when cold, limited in what you can do with them unless you buy all the attachments and as unstable as you could possibly buy.
A bad buy for me, but each to thier own.
unsy 18 Nov 2007
In reply to martynlj: Ive got a jet boil and i swear by it , a mate had an msr and it didnt appear to work very well or have a strong heat and flame ( this was in the alps ), for me the jet boil has it on the quck boiling times etc although i admit that you are limited to filling a jug and boiling your food in the bags .I personally bought two jugs to use on it
pwhiteside 18 Nov 2007
In reply to martynlj: I have a jet boil and love it. I have never had any trouble with it and use it a lot. Admittedly I haven't used it at altitude so can't comment. As for the msr, I read a review in Trail magazine (not mine, honestly) and the tester found that:
a) It took longer to boil than the manafacturer claimed and,
b) It took 3 times longer to boil when the gas was running low even though msr claim it doesn't lose any perfomance at all.

It' almost double the price of the jet boil too and doesn't light without a lighter or matches.
scrubmunched 18 Nov 2007
In reply to unsy:
> (In reply to martynlj.I personally bought two jugs to use on it

You must pack very unbulky gear to get '2' in your pack. That will take up a huge amount of room, even if you do fill them with pants and socks.
Glad you like them though. I was hugely disapointed by , lack of compatability for gas to fit in the mug, lighting in the cold, terrible to light in the wet, well impossible, not the windshield effect I expected and so is not a quick contraption in exposed places, where it was supposed to excel.
 PeterM 18 Nov 2007
In reply to martynlj:

Got me a jetboil which I find to be very good. Have bought one of these which is very useful:
http://actionoutdoors.co.uk/shop/markill-stove-base-adapter-p-412.html?osCs...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...