UKC

Camping New Zealand

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mintcake 09 Dec 2007
Thinking of going to New Zealand in Feb. Just hiring a car, taking a tent and touring. There seems to be plenty of campsites over there but and is booking necessary. It will be the high season. Thanks in advance.
 Banned User 77 09 Dec 2007
In reply to mintcake: Sometimes, depends on the sights, placs like Abel Tasman book ahead. Not too far normally, depends where you are going though.

Use the hut system too, also loads of places to wild camp.
 KiwiPrincess 09 Dec 2007
In reply to mintcake:

You have to book on tramping trails as numbers are limited, but generally you can turn up in Feb as locals are back at work by then.
The Hangdog camp at Paynes ford climbing does not take bookings before you try.
I would book in popular torist spots such as Queenstown and Rotorua.
The 2 must do tourist things to do are Walk the tongariro crossing central north island and Go to Milford Sound South on a boat cruise ( awesome climing in Milford)
 JB 09 Dec 2007
In reply to KiwiPrincess:

You have to book camping/huts on the most popular tramping trails but many of the less popular ones are quiet even in high season.

I was there in the high season and the sites in the tourist spots were busy but equally there were lots of department of conservation sites with minimal facilities that were fairly quiet.
 KiwiPrincess 09 Dec 2007
In reply to mintcake:
If you are an NZ alpine club member the Club hut's are half price. I know someclubs like scottish mountaineering club and us have recipricol rights, otherwise a membership is $120 and could be worthwhile getting if you plan to use these alot. (there is one close to the road at both Miford and Fox..the rest are alpine)
www.alpineclub.org.nz
thebigdon 09 Dec 2007
In reply to mintcake: me and the wife are also heading for NZ in feb next with a similar plan,

i found a great handy atlas by Hema maps that has details on all facilities for all the dept of conservation camp sites,

does anyone have any advice on tents? should i take one out there or buy a cheap one and then leave it there?
 nz Cragrat 10 Dec 2007
In reply to thebigdon:

It rains here... your choice
 peas65 10 Dec 2007
In reply to mintcake:

I went in feb and just pitched up, most sites werent busy. We were just car camping so bought a cheap $80 tant which actually was perfect as it was quite hot sometimes and the tent had big vents on the side.
Would recommend camping in rotorua as the campsite we stayed at had thermal springs so the campsite was heated!
Have a great time
 BelleVedere 10 Dec 2007
In reply to mintcake:

We did that - and were fine

The standard of regular campsites in NZ is very high - most have kitchens you can use that are equipped with microwaves, toasters cookers and even BBQ's. There is often a reading or TV room, and of course showeres and laundry facilites.

We never booked, and were fine (we did 10 weeks of camping) -

THe DOC campsites are much more basic and you will generally have to take your rubbish away with you. (they are very cheap)

Its good to mix between the 2, do a few days basic - then go to the luxuary of a 'top 10' site to swim, and do all your washing.
 Chris F 10 Dec 2007
In reply to mintcake: compare car hire to camper van hire. It might not be a lot more and you can make saving by not having to find a campsite every night. Worked for us.
Removed User 10 Dec 2007
In reply to mintcake:
In 20 odd years there I have never booked a thing.
OP mintcake 10 Dec 2007
Thanks everyone. All very helpful.
 peas65 10 Dec 2007
In reply to mintcake:

And just as a general recomendation do not go to Greymouth, scary place not much to do and no where to eat. reminded me of a ghost town. Oh and dont forget to fill up when travelling north from wanaka if you go that way as there are not many petrol stations-can vouch for that, we did 100 miles at 40mph just to make the fuel last.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...