UKC

Beal Flyer II: performance?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ksjs 10 Dec 2007
had this just over a year, its had 3 month long sport trips, a 2 week sport trip and regular wall and crag use in the UK. recently ive noticed that the sheath seems to have started slipping along the length of the rope (eg when using a grigri the sheath will 'back up' slightly, making it hard to get rope through the grigri). the rope is golden dry treated. anyone else had the same experience?

i have really liked the rope (and still do, its just a bit annoying with the grigri): its very soft and good to fall on. criticisms i do have though are:
1. the rope tends to flatten when lowering off (it becomes oval)
2. it appears that the sheath (and i think its been like this since its early days) twists around the core ie if looking up at the rope under tension you can clearly see that the sheath is lightly twisted along the ropes length

generally, is what i describe typical of a sport rope with this amount of use or should it be performing better?

by the way during my last 2 weeks climbing i pulled the rope through several times a day in an effort to straighten things out but it hasnt really helped.
 Morgan Woods 10 Dec 2007
In reply to ksjs:
> is what i describe typical of a sport rope with this amount of use

no but itis typical of Beal ropes....i find they can be abit of a lucky dip....either:

1) they might prematurely fuzz up and put on a few mm's
2) the core might flatten, squashing the ropes profile under load
3) wears as expected for anormal sports rope

1 happened to me, 2 to a friends one, and i'm sure some of their ropes (ie 3) are ok. 2) is the worst as it can be hell lowering a heavier climber through a gri gri.

my solution is to stick with Mammut....Beal quality control ain't up to it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...