UKC

Anyone heading to the Ecrins Ice Fest in Jan?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Dyer 12 Dec 2007
I'm heading out to the ice climbing festival being held in Argentierre la Besse in Jan and wondering if anyone off here was also? My buddy has had to drop out so if anyone's looking for a climbing partner or just up for a few biere's of an evening let me know. (I lead WI4 but am happy to climb easier/harder so long as the climbing and company's good!) Also - anyone got any idea what the best way to get there via public transport is from Grenoble airport? I was planning on hiring a car but will be too expensive on my todd - I'm getting the impression busses/trains/hitching may be a bit of a mission though! Rob
 Morgan Woods 12 Dec 2007
In reply to Rob Dyer:

i'm interested but getting the time off depends on lots of things...wll have to see how things pan out...here's the link for the dates etc.

http://www.ice-fall.com/rs/Ice/Climbing/Ecrins/(GB)/232.aspx
 Morgan Woods 12 Dec 2007
In reply to Rob Dyer:

it's easy enough to get a bus from the airport to briancon (change in grenoble train station)....although the sunday timetable is limited. from there it should be an easy hitch or another bus to ALB.
OP Rob Dyer 12 Dec 2007
In reply to Morgan Woods: Thanks for the travel info, I'd seen the website before which pretty much sold it to me - somewhere I've wanted to climb for a while and with all the fun and games that will be going on looks like a great time to go! I'll be flying out 08/01/08 staying in the Ecrins until the 12/01/08 then heading over to see a mate in Tignes for a few days - if those dates end up tying in with yours give me a shout. Cheers, Rob
Boris_73 12 Dec 2007
In reply to Rob Dyer: Out of curiosity how much is this costing you? I would like to go, but I have booked a Scottish Mountaineering/climbing course. So I wont have that much money left.
OP Rob Dyer 12 Dec 2007
In reply to Boris_73: Hey Boris, flights are costing me £60 from Bournemouth (I'm flying into Grenoble and out of Geneva though,) I'll be staying in a gite (bunkhouse) there - I believe they are around 10 euro p/n, then there's travel once you're there (still working on that one,) food, beer and ski pass when I get to Tignes. It can be reasonably cheap if you want it to be but it's never going to be totally budget unless you plan on being a hermit once you get there and not going out. Drop me a mail if you're still keen. Rob
OP Rob Dyer 14 Dec 2007
In reply to Boris: Right, got it sorted now - I've gone for different flights, costing me £40 into and out of Grenoble (but that will obviously depend where your flying from/to.) Checked out train prices on sncf.co.uk and looks like it's around £40 return to Briancon - could be cheaper for a bus though but I cant find a site with prices for that. Morgan seems to think a hitch will be easy from Briancon to ALB. Gite accomodation is 11-17 euros pppn so say 15 for that, plus there's this final night bivi party in igloos which is 20 eur if you fancy it (sounds like a good craic.) So will be 4 nights gite accom for 60 eur plus 20 eur for the bivi - 80 eur / £57 roughly. So £140 for accomodation + travel, then add to that whatever you think you will spend on food/drink. Seems pretty good for 5 days on the ice. Rob
OP Rob Dyer 18 Dec 2007
In reply to Pete of the Alps: cheers Pete - I've got my accomodation sorted already through the guy organising the fest (Gerhard) with a space in a gite, but will bear you in mind for the future. Thanks for the bus timetable - that will definately come in handy. Rob
Pete of the Alps 19 Dec 2007
In reply to Rob Dyer: Bus timetable is here http://www.vfd.fr and more info on the ice in the region can be found here http://www.alpsun.com/iceclimbing_en.htm
 Rob Adie 20 Dec 2007
In reply to Rob Dyer: Are you still looking for a climbing partner for the ice festival, I am thinking of heading out, where are you flying from. I have sent you a personal mail as well.

Cheers Rob
OP Rob Dyer 20 Dec 2007
In reply to Rob Adie: Hi Rob, I'm still on my todd at the mo - I was planning try and find a partner out there or just solo really easy stuff/ski if I can't. If you're out there too though and after a partner, it would be great to have a definate person to climb with. I'm at work now but will mail you back tonight. Rob
OP Rob Dyer 20 Dec 2007
In reply to Rob Adie: (Oh and I'm flying Bournemouth-Grenoble both ways but am happy to meet up out there)
 garethMottram 22 Dec 2007
In reply to Rob Dyer: Hiya, I'm from King's college mountaineering club, You went to school with one of our ex-memers (Gareth Lodwick). we're out there from 29th in Valouise and just going independent. We have a couple of cars and an appartment/chalet.
We are also short on a climber for our first week, if you're interested, flights are already booked and one of our climbers got extremely sick.
OP Rob Dyer 22 Dec 2007
In reply to garethMottram: cheers for the offer mate - sounds fantastic but I've booked my flight home for the 19th Jan already, and will be back at work on the 21st Have a good one though and say hello to Gaz for me - haven't seen him for yonks! Rob
 garethMottram 23 Dec 2007
In reply to Rob Dyer: fair play, but if you fancy getting away from the crowds a bit or having a pint, give us a shout, we're there until the 12th.
OP Rob Dyer 23 Dec 2007
In reply to garethMottram: oh right - you're there from Dec 29th not Jan? My bad - I assumed you meant January. In that case then yeah would definately be good to meet up - I'll drop you a mail. Rob

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...