UKC

waterproof breathable jacket advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Highpeak 03 Jan 2008
Hi, i'm thinking of replacing my 12 year old berghaus jacket.
main use will be hiking in the uk when bad weather prevents climbing, so i'm looking for breathable and completely waterproof... would anyone be able to make a recommendation? many thanks
 soveda 03 Jan 2008
In reply to rogernaylor:

You can probably get one or the other but not both. Get something that fits and insulating layers that are warm when wet, sorted!
 freelancer_85 03 Jan 2008
In reply to rogernaylor:

Paramo Velez adventure smock is a good bet. A bit warm for summer, I'd guess, but I've been really impressed with it so far, super-breathable, and nearly totally waterproof (it'll wet out if you lie on wet ground for example). Um, have a look on the outdoors magic forums for more info about how great Paramo is

Josh.
 GrahamD 03 Jan 2008
In reply to rogernaylor:

I really like my lighweight Rab EVent stuff - only thin so it probably won't last as long as the heavy old Goretex but its so much more comfortable and I definately stay drier in it.
 radson 03 Jan 2008
I think the only way for a jacket to be really breathable is to have pit zips . Despite the manufacturers claims, I think you need some mechanical action, to vent. My 2c worth. I like the Haglofs Spitz, Rab Latok and Montane Superfly XT.
Highpeak 04 Jan 2008
In reply to radson:
cheers, i looked at a few reviews of the new rab latok and it seems to get a lot of praise - hopefully be able to pick one up this weekend...
 Murderous_Crow 04 Jan 2008
In reply to rogernaylor: Definitely worth having a look at paramo stuff. I switched a year ago from high-end Gore products - breathability in paramo is unsurpassed, as is durability and quietness. New range not too retro-looking... I'll never buy gore/eVent again.
 GrahamD 04 Jan 2008
In reply to radson:

Problem I have with pit zips is doing them up when it starts to hose down, with a rucksac on and without getting flooded !
 Craig Geddes 04 Jan 2008
In reply to rogernaylor: My vote for classic shell protection goes to Rab eVent stuff as well. For something that is more comfortable I agree that paramo is the way to go but it is much heavier so not much use as a layer that gets chucked in sack till needed.
 Ridge 04 Jan 2008
In reply to Craig Geddes:

Agreed. I'm a Paramo user, but it's heavy, wets out easily, and isn't suited to warm weather. It works for me because I'm sweaty, but if you want a waterproof 'shell' then eVents probably the way to go.
mrc1508 04 Jan 2008
In reply to rogernaylor:Rab Latok!only possible downside is that it has quite a slim cut and may not suit.regards.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...