UKC

Black Diamond Helion head torch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dean 16 Jan 2008
Any one got one of these? http://cham3s.com/uk/helion,3229,p.html

Any good?
 dunnyg 16 Jan 2008
In reply to Dean: What you going to be using it for?
Dean 16 Jan 2008
In reply to dunnyg:

Alpine routes in winter.
 ng1273 17 Jan 2008
In reply to Dean:

I've had one for about a year - not sure how it compares to others in terms of xenon brightness etc but it's solid and i've had no probs. i bought it for a short-lived phase of fell-running at night and it's just about adequate if it's pitch black - i suspect that some other torches might have more powerful xenon bulbs but i've not used them. battery life's good, LED's last for 120 hours if i remember right and i got good life out of the batteries on xenon (more than they claimed) when i was using it every night for an hour or so. at the moment i use it mostly for walking and occasionally for mountain biking (in conjunction with my cheapo cateye halogen set which wasn't as bright as i hoped it would be!)

there's space for 2 spare bulbs behind the reflector and they're easy to change, black diamond also make a few bulb variations (economy, high power, etc) although i've just got the default one which the brightest i think.

hope that helps

neil

Dean 17 Jan 2008
In reply to ng1273:

That's a big help, thanks.

Anyone else got one?

Who uses what for Alpine stuff?
 Solaris 19 Jan 2008
In reply to Dean:

I've got one and it's fine. Lower power Duracells don't seem to last as long as the higher power ones (with the blue rim).

However, the Petzl Myo (this one, I think: http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Produit=554) weighs less and on a comparison in the alps last summer, seemed to give a better light. Having an elastic strap over the top makes the BD less likely to slip off a helmet, though.
 IanJackson 19 Jan 2008
In reply to Dean: Petzl Tikka Plus. There easily bright enough to walk and climb on Ice. Assuming your climbing a Ice route, route finding will not be that problematic.

Ive got a Black Diamond Icon, for Nighttime rock climbing. I find the LED's are not bright enough for rock climbing, and the beam to focussed
 IanJackson 19 Jan 2008
I wouldn't have suggested the Tikka with my limited alpine experience, but it seems to be the new rave. Those bigger torches are a bit overkill maybe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...