UKC

The Argos Pro Action Tent Has Returned !!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Alan Mc 22 Jan 2008
Just flicking through the new Argos catalogue and it would appear they have re-introduced the "original" Pro Action One Man Tent.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3400779/Trail/C%24cip%3D15...

I am talking about the one that is clearly a rip-off of the Sierra Designs Light Year 1, not the rubbish one man offerings they have had in the last few catalogues.

http://sierradesigns.com/tents.display.php?id=45

This tent gained quite a reputation when Argos first sold it a few years back and although the colour has changed, it looks pretty much the same as the one I have.

Not bad value at £50 ( and no doubt it will be an even better buy when they reduce the price towards the end of the season ).
 Alex Roddie 22 Jan 2008
In reply to Alan Mc:
2.1kg is a tad on the heavy side for a one-man tent these days, but at £50 I wouldn't complain about an extra 400g or so! Looks amazing!
Fauvé 22 Jan 2008
In reply to Alan Mc:

Still have my original one, great wee tent that I got for £20 on fleabay!

Fauvé
satori 22 Jan 2008
In reply to Fauvé:

i bought an original one when argos reduced it to £20. (i believe the lowest they ever went was £15!).

has been used on mountain marathons for 2 people with very good results.

to the oP: looks the same, apart from the colour. i assume since it is a similar weight then it must have the alu poles in it.

to Alex: - the 2kg weight is the full weight. get rid of the carry bag and swap the heavy pegs for an alloy peg and it approaches 1.5kg.
 Alex Roddie 22 Jan 2008
In reply to satori:
> to Alex: - the 2kg weight is the full weight. get rid of the carry bag and swap the heavy pegs for an alloy peg and it approaches 1.5kg.

Good point. 1.5kg is really quite light, even for a superduper expensive mountain tent. I'm very impressed!
Ian 22 Jan 2008
In reply to satori:
> (In reply to Fauvé)
>
> i bought an original one when argos reduced it to £20. (i believe the lowest they ever went was £15!).
>
> has been used on mountain marathons for 2 people with very good results.

i paid 10 for mine

the best tent in the world and I will be buying another one (or two)

my last one survived everything except some thieving police in Zambia and a 70mph motorcycle crash
Alan Mc 22 Jan 2008
In reply to satori:

I figured the poles must be alloy as the overall weight is the same as the original tent.

My Argos tent actually came with alloy pegs that were identical in shape and weight to the ones supplied with my Wild Country tent.

Alan
Fauvé 22 Jan 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:
> (In reply to satori)
> [...]
>
> Good point. 1.5kg is really quite light, even for a superduper expensive mountain tent. I'm very impressed!

I did the same as Mr Satori. Dumped all the heavy stuff, allot poles and just stuffed it into my sack!

I like bivvying (is that a word?) but I thought as I was getting to buy one of these. Great wee tent for using as a lightweight extra shelter bivvy thing!

F x
mriwbrown 22 Jan 2008
In reply to Alan Mc:
I got a Gelert solo 1 man tent a few months ago, only £20 and 1.5kg. Havent used it yet though, anyone got any experience of it?
Cheers
Ian
 Flicka@work 22 Jan 2008
In reply to Alan Mc:

Excellent, I need a nice light tent for wildcamping
fish08 22 Jan 2008
In reply to mriwbrown: On the solo, if you are careful to pitch it correctly (not too tight!) it is really sturdy. Held out a "normal" nights rain without a problem.

The only real disadvantage is that there is no hope of sitting up in it. So, you really need to get changed before entering the tent, and you can only sleep in it (unlikely to comfortably cook/eat/read). On the other side of that coin you could see it as an advantage as it makes it a bit more stable in the wind.

All in all a great 2 season tent.
In reply to Alan Mc: My mate had one for a cycling trip in the weastern isles. We camped on an exposed beach one night, just in time for a mega storm to blow in. We thought our super duper pricey macpac minaret was going to collapse all night, and in the morning it was full of sand and water. My pal's argos tent withstood the gales much better. I will be buying one.
 Ashley 22 Jan 2008
In reply to mriwbrown:
> (In reply to Alan Mc)
> I got a Gelert solo...anyone got any experience of it?

Small. Taking your socks off in it is a mission and I'm only 5'7", infact doing anything in it is pretty challenging!
fish08 22 Jan 2008
In reply to Ashley: You can lie down in it if you are under 6ft (I was fine at 5'11"), but as you say, it's a bit of a challenge!
mriwbrown 22 Jan 2008
In reply to fish08:

Agree its tiny, I can just lie down in it. I'm 5'11 and fairly slim - anyone bigger it would be a nightmare. I'll just be using it for the occasional 1 nighter, glad to hear it can survive the rain tjough.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...