UKC

Montane Superfly vs Superfly XT vs other for scotland.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 twm.bwen 29 Jan 2008
Hi there, I need to get a new shell for scotland at the end of feb (will there be snow?)
Anyway, heard superfly is good jacket and can get last years for £110.

But is it hardweight enough (Kimber kit list says lightweight shells often not up to scottish conditions) for scotland winter and perhaps summer alps?

Or is it worth paying the extra £70 to get the Superfly XT with its extra reinforcements?

Or any reccomendations for decent jacket for said use at said prices?
Thanks
 Marion Leister 29 Jan 2008
I have the Montane Superfly and bought for Scotland, as it came recommended. Haven't used it in Scotland yet, but have in the North Wales and the Alps, with no problems. I like the fact its light and I can add additional layers. Off to Scotland at the end of Feb myself, so will have a better idea then, although I appreciate that's not much use to you now.
OP twm.bwen 29 Jan 2008
In reply to Marion Leister: Were you wearing a rucksack whilst with the superfly on? I assume the reinforcement on the shoulders is as much for this as anything?
 andymoin 29 Jan 2008
In reply to twm.bwen: btw I've got a med superfly in black and in good nick for sale looking for 80 notes posted, you interested?
In reply to twm.bwen:

Watch the hood, it wouldn't fit over a helmet when I nearly bought one last year (Superfly). Other than that will probably be fine, looks the part anyway, especially in red.

Stuart
 mgg 29 Jan 2008
In reply to Stuart the postie:

I've a Rab Latok, similar weight to the Superfly and is perfect for winter. I'd say you manage a week on the Ben with a superfly.
XT is a bit better but if your only going to be in scotland 1 week every year.........
 Marion Leister 29 Jan 2008
Yes wearing a sack and a helmet. No problem with either. However my mate has the Latok and swears by that, so I guess it's what works best for the individual.
In reply to mgg:
> (In reply to Stuart the postie)
>
>I'd say you manage a week on the Ben with a superfly.
>

Why, would you have eaten some of it, or just put it in the bin? How long does a pair of dachsteins last (on the Ben)??

Looking forward to your answer

Stuart
Garry Hughes 29 Jan 2008
In reply to Stuart the postie:
> (In reply to twm.bwen)
>
> Watch the hood, it wouldn't fit over a helmet when I nearly bought one last year (Superfly). Other than that will probably be fine, looks the part anyway, especially in red.
>
> Stuart

Would agree with the hood comment. Could do with being a wee bit bigger. Also, the chest pocket is a bit "weird". Condensation from the inside gets in and stays there, so don't put a camera in it!

In reply to twm.bwen: I don't suppose you could tell me where you can get a superfly for £110 could you?

Cheers

Dave
 The Wriggler 29 Jan 2008
In reply to twm.bwen: I have a superfly and its great. Brilliant fit, great map pocket, however you can't get the hood over a climbing jacket. Get one, but not for winter mountaineering.

S
I've got the superfly too, as has been said the hood isn't the best.

Also, I think it's a bit too lightweight if you're giving it a battering (fine for ice and snow, but once you start rubbing against granite, the holes start to apper!) XT is prob better.

I'd avoid RAB though, everything I've bought from them recently has fallen to pieces!

Have you seen the crux flak jacket? (not sure about toughness/build quality, but another option for you)

OP twm.bwen 29 Jan 2008
In reply to parmoeater:
> (In reply to twm.bwen) I have a superfly and its great. Brilliant fit, great map pocket, however you can't get the hood over a climbing jacket. Get one, but not for winter mountaineering.
>
> S
Thanks for the reply but I'm a little confused. By winter mountaineering do you mean the scottish winter I mention in the op? If so why not?

Thanks
Tom
In reply to twm.bwen: I think he probably meant to say that you can't fit the hood over a helmet, and therefore it's not much use for Scottish winter climbing.

I manage with mine, but I don't often use the hood, in fact, it usually stays in my bag for when it's actually raining! (I don't need a helmet when it's raining, as when it's raining, I'm not climbing!!!)

I would definitely chose the XT over the superfly if I planning on using with a helmet a lot.
Garry Hughes 30 Jan 2008
In reply to twm.bwen:
> (In reply to parmoeater)
> [...]
> Thanks for the reply but I'm a little confused. By winter mountaineering do you mean the scottish winter I mention in the op? If so why not?
>
> Thanks
> Tom

Probably for the reasons that Alasdair mentioned above, it's not the toughest of jackets so would not put up with much abrasion. worn mine for the last two seasons, but it's only ever come out of the sack twice. If I was after a bomb proof jacket, I would probably be looking at something like the Marmot Glenmore.
 NathanP 30 Jan 2008
In reply to twm.bwen:

I'd say the key question is whether the hood fits over a helmet and still works - if not, forget it, that is an absolute requirement. Fabric weight/robustness is very secondary.

The other important factor is what else you'll be wearing. I went on one of Mr. Kimber's courses last winter and used a TNF Paclite jacket for rainy walk-ins in preference to my big full-spec mountain waterproof. There was some initial scepticism but the hood did fit over my climbing helmet and I was using it in conjunction with a RAB technical smock (thick pile-Pertex with a big wires hood) so everything was fine. If I'd been using it on its own over a fleece I don't think it would have been enough.

BTW, I've never had any RAB gear fall apart and would look at their Latok, Latok Alpine and Super Dru or perhaps the Crux flak jacket if I was starting from scratch.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...