UKC

Marmot Asgard - any views?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Dyer 01 Feb 2008
Anyone used a Marmot Asgard tent and got any feedback? I'm in the market for a bomber mountain tent and from the spec they look excellent but I'd really appreciate any comments from people who have spent time in one. If you weren't impressed what worked better? Cheers! Rob
OP Rob Dyer 01 Feb 2008
In reply to Rob Dyer: bump
OP Rob Dyer 04 Feb 2008
In reply to Rob Dyer: anyone?
 IainWhitehouse 04 Feb 2008
In reply to Rob Dyer: You don't see very many of them around. IIRC they are an EU-specific version of the older Thor tents. (ie the design has been tweaked to cope with proper British rain.) I climbed with someone who used a Thor and she was extremely happy with it. The only flaw was I could see was that the fly stopped high off the ground American style - which is the major correction in the Asgard.
HTH, Iain
OP Rob Dyer 04 Feb 2008
In reply to IainWhitehouse: cheers Iain! Rob
 Thadius 14 Feb 2008
In reply to Rob Dyer:

I had a play with one late last year. They've taken the typical geodesic design, tried to be clever and have failed. They actually managed to confuse me with what they were trying to do. The fail, for instance, to have totally differently coloured poles for different tasks. I'd much rather have my Ultra Quasar. They are brilliant tents and fine for anything in the UK. Only if you go to bigger and much badder places will you have the need for your full weight Quasars or Trangos. For UK get an Ultra Q, for big stuff overseas a Trango.
 mgg 15 Feb 2008
In reply to Thadius:

I've not used the Asgard, but i had the Thor which was very spacious light and strong. However- the ground sheet was very thin, alot of unnesscesary straps, extra pole through the middle. The Asgard seems to have addresses all those points and is more suited to UK conditions. I would reckon much better quality than TerraNova these days. Can be found cheap on the web.
OP Rob Dyer 15 Feb 2008
In reply to Thadius: thanks for the input - any particular reasons why you didn't like it though - I wouldn't have thought that not having different colour poles would be enough to put you off if it was an otherwise good bit of kit?
 droites 15 Feb 2008
In reply to Rob Dyer:
Try one of these mate. I have one and I love it.
http://www.crux.uk.com/en/crux_tents_x2_storm.php
 Thadius 15 Feb 2008
In reply to Rob Dyer: To be honest with you I have forgotten the specifics about the tent and can only really remember my general opinion of it which is all I am really able to offer.
It certainly is no way better than Terra NOva offerings and in terms of TN quality - they have the same excellent standards through their range whereas some Marmot stuff in the lower leagues isn't up to too high a standard.
What is it you are going to be using the tent for mostly anyway?
 Thadius 15 Feb 2008
In reply to Rob Dyer: Of course if you manage to get one at a good enough price anything becomes good!
 DANNYdjb 04 Mar 2008
In reply to Rob Dyer: Hi Rob just used this tent in storms in wales. tent went up fine in the dark first time used and in 50 60 mph wind and rain stayed up no problems for three days like this no adjustments. poles are now colour coded and tent pegs although a little vicous stayed in sodden ground for the duration and did not come loose. spacious and allround good design.

hope this helps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...