UKC

life insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
clive r 11 Feb 2008
I climb regularly in the UK. This is Ok with my Life insurance. This summer I intend to climb the matterhorn by the Hornli route - not a major climb but I am not covered by my life insurance. Does anyone Know a method of getting life cover for a single trip such as this?
 radson 11 Feb 2008
In reply to clive r:

I am sorry Clive, my reply will be completely useless to you but for any Australians reading this thread. Australian members of the NZAC now can get get Life Insurance. You can check out their website for more details.
 JSTaylor 11 Feb 2008
In reply to clive r:
Perhaps a moot point, but I reckon given its death toll the Hornli qualifies as a MAJOR route despite its relatively modest technical grade. As for insurance, try the BMC.
 David Rose 13 Feb 2008
In reply to clive r: I have tried this in the past and it doesn't work. Premiums for single trips are prohibitive. The only option is to pay extra for mountaineering cover year-round. I ended up with a reasonable deal with Scottish Widows, but you can still expect a premium of at least 20% more than a standard policy.

Or... don't fall off!
 James Oswald 13 Feb 2008
In reply to clive r:
BMC insurance
 threepeaks 15 Feb 2008
In reply to clive r: It never used to bother me, but now with 2 children to feed!!! I have done extensive research on this. I too am covered for any climbing in UK through Norwich Union - this though took a financial advisor to organise for me. I am a teacher and a member of the NASUWT, I have an 'accident protection' policy with UNAT Direct that I found would cover me for £175000 and pays out for mountaineering and climing anywhere in the world, I pay £23.50/month for the whole family. The only grey area would be if I had a heart attack whist climbing, my instructions to climbing partners have always been if I have a heart attack to bash me over the head with a huge brick . It's worth looking around I'm not sure whether UNAT would offer to other people but I'm quite happy to forward number if you contact me. BMC Travel cover will not be enough cover to supplement your normal insurance , if you change your provider through the BMC the cost is still quite high. Hope this helps, Dave S.

ps. How sad is this! We should be talking about routes!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...