UKC

climbing in a shirt - a question for women

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CJD 31 Mar 2008
hello

I'm busy having shirtmaking thoughts at the moment... do any of you women out there climb in a shirt rather than a T-shirt or vest, and if so, a) do you climb in a man's shirt, and b) if you don't climb in a man's shirt, which I guess is roomier than women's shirts, what features would you look for in a shirt for climbing in?

I'm thinking
- roomy in the shoulder/arm seam to allow for plenty of movement
- ability to roll sleeves up to where they won't get in the way (lots of shirts have quite tight sleeves, don't they?
- long enough to not ride up above a harness
- collar to protect against sun

anything else?
 The Lemming 31 Mar 2008
In reply to CJD:
> hello
>

>
> anything else?

No bras.

Tree 31 Mar 2008
In reply to CJD: Pretty flowery pattern? Little funny bits of ribbon?
 smithy 31 Mar 2008
In reply to CJD:

Needs metal d-rings for clipping stuff to.

At least 4 on each side, and 2 on each arm.

smithy 31 Mar 2008
In reply to CJD:

Oooh, built in knife holder pouch.

OP CJD 31 Mar 2008
In reply to the chaps:

dudes, the clue is in the thread title...
 anansie 31 Mar 2008
In reply to CJD:

Not too roomy though around the middle if you will?..a little closer fitting so as you don't have a bumphly bit sticking oot yer mid section..does that make sense?
 Tree 31 Mar 2008
In reply to CJD: Sexist!
OP CJD 31 Mar 2008
In reply to anansie:

yeah, good point - it doesn't need to be hugely fitted though... the questions are so I can start adapting an existing pattern.
 Reach>Talent 31 Mar 2008
In reply to CJD:
I once climbed into a womans shirt (getting dressed in the dark in a hurry) and the arms were very tight; I couldn't get my elbows past the shoulders. Making them roomier would only increase the likelihood of me making this mistake again.
OP CJD 31 Mar 2008
In reply to Reach>Talent:

um... the likelihood of you getting dressed in the dark and putting my shirt on is, I feel confident in saying, slim.

Tree 31 Mar 2008
In reply to CJD: And I quote" <ahem> I'd want lovingly embroidered (in pure silk, natch) alpine scenes decorating it"
 Reach>Talent 31 Mar 2008
In reply to CJD:
True but why set your sights on just producing shirts for yourself? Honestly there are numerous women who may be stupid enough to allow me into their homes who are also in the market for a suitably cut shirt.
OP CJD 31 Mar 2008
In reply to Tree:

oi! that was only rucksacks!
 anansie 31 Mar 2008
In reply to CJD:

My mam always double stitched the areas that would take the most strain too? Along shoulders and underarm seams being the main ones? Made our stuff indestructable ! ( no matter how much we wanted to destroy it hee hee ;-P)
OP CJD 31 Mar 2008
In reply to Reach>Talent:

well true.

I think i'll start with me first though.
OP CJD 31 Mar 2008
In reply to anansie:

yeah, you're supposed to double stitch underarms on shirts anyway, but that's a good point well made!
OP CJD 01 Apr 2008
In reply to CJD:

after the gents so kindly created a whole new thread for me, I thought I'd bump this one for daytimer thoughts before I start cutting...
 vixen 01 Apr 2008
In reply to CJD:

Hello I like shirts to climb in, the material must be soft and feel like a ....well er... rag so that you could potentially use it to wipe sweat off with and it must be the sort of material that looks better when its all crupmled. I have one thats made of that odd sort of pleatedish stuff if you know what I mean. - roomy enough for jumpers to be underneath it. and of a cool sort of material so that if you are climbing in the south of frnace and you need to cover up from the sun, you are not too hot, and somehow magically smart enough to look fabulous when you go the pub afterwards. flowers is nice. No material that shows dark sweat stains. can also be used as a cushion, pillow, ground sheet or picnic table if the fabirc is right.
OP CJD 01 Apr 2008
In reply to vixen:

so nothing too demanding then

the fabric I've got for it is seersucker, so that's one requirement checked!
 hutchm 01 Apr 2008
In reply to CJD:

How about some kind of Hair-shirt? I like to wear one to punish me for driving to the crag in my 4x4 and toproping 3 star classics all day.
 vixen 01 Apr 2008
In reply to CJD:
sounds ideal,
I am a bit demanding when it comes to shirts yes, but I bet you are too!
OP CJD 01 Apr 2008
In reply to vixen:

ha ha! well I tend to wear T-shirts or, in the summer, vests, but my bf has pointed out that with fair skin I've got a bit of sun damage on my back so I thought that a shirt would be the way forward... on with the experiment!
OP CJD 01 Apr 2008
In reply to hutchm:

ooo, itchy...
 hutchm 01 Apr 2008
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to hutchm)
>
> ooo, itchy...

It's what I deserve for going unhelmeted into wild places.
moomin 01 Apr 2008
In reply to CJD:

Having never found a shirt that actually fits me (big boobs, short body, waist is generally around my boods, and I always need shoulder pads - perfect for that 80's power dressing look) it's doubtful I'd actually wear a shirt for climbing. Maybe a T-Shirt with a collar though.

Some good (cheap!) tech fabrics here though..

http://www.wazoodle.com/cgi-bin/catstore.cgi?user_action=category&categ...
OP CJD 01 Apr 2008
In reply to moomin:

oo, cool site - cheers for that.

tlm 01 Apr 2008
In reply to CJD:

When I started climbing, we were specifically TOLD to wear long sleeved, hard wearing shirts with a collar (so that you didn't get rope burns from the classic abseils and body belays!!!)

I would say that the key thing is the fabric. I would go for something with stretch in it - even though that would be harder to sew (have you got one of those special machines that lets you sew stretchy fabrics?

I quite often wear an old shirt when climbing in hot countries. It's so much easier and cheaper than suncream! And less offensive in some countries when your arms are covered. And cooler than a vest - I don't really wear vests, I must say, because of burnt shoulders..... That, and I would probably have someone's eye out with my bazookas!!! heh heh!
In reply to CJD:

> the questions are so I can start adapting an existing pattern

Most shirt patterns won't have the arm raise required for climbing, so the hem will ride up, of the cuff will pull down.

You'll need to adjust the scye (mostly on the sleeve, rather than the body) to add more ease in the underarm, and probably change the position of the cap (i.e. move it in from the shoulder a little).

This should also help reduce the 'bumphly bit sticking oot yer mid section', which is most likely caused by hem lift due to a tight scye.

OP CJD 01 Apr 2008
In reply to captain paranoia:
> (In reply to CJD)
>
> [...]
>
> Most shirt patterns won't have the arm raise required for climbing, so the hem will ride up, of the cuff will pull down.

aye, that's why i'm asking for thoughts so I can sort it out.

>
> You'll need to adjust the scye (mostly on the sleeve, rather than the body) to add more ease in the underarm, and probably change the position of the cap (i.e. move it in from the shoulder a little).

that's what I was thinking of doing.
>
> This should also help reduce the 'bumphly bit sticking oot yer mid section', which is most likely caused by hem lift due to a tight scye.

I don't understand this bit - if you mean 'cut it longer' then I was intending to do so anyway.

OP CJD 01 Apr 2008
In reply to tlm:

lycra definitely makes sense. This particular shirt won't definitely be just for climbing so I'll go with the seersucker for now and see how it goes...
Bob kate bob 01 Apr 2008
In reply to CJD: THe last thing you want is for the shirt to ride up as soon as your arms are raised. How about getting a jacket you have that doesn't do this and make a patern from it. I would make a rough mock up in some very cheap fabric to make sure you have gotten the pattern right, if need be do some alterations, then when your happy make up the shirt in the fabric you want and finish off to the level required.

Depending on when you want to wear the shirt, think of the SPF factor that the fabric would give, and also it's wicking ability.
In reply to CJD:

> I don't understand this bit - if you mean 'cut it longer' then I was intending to do so anyway

No; what I meant was that, without modifying the scye, you'll get a lot of hem lift, which will pull the shirt up through a harness, and, as there's nothing to pull it back again, it'll accumulate in the 'bumphly bit sticking oot yer mid section'...

But you've obviously already thought of everything I suggested, so I'll shut up and let you get on with it.
OP CJD 01 Apr 2008
In reply to captain paranoia:

ah yes, that makes sense!

<waves fabric scissors with maniacal glint in eye )
In reply to CJD:

Hello. Can I say that I'd like more room in the sort of top-of-the-back area? I'm quite muscly across there and find that when I climb in an ordinary womens shirt, it sort of crinkles upwards and is very uncomfy. I've tried shirts with wider side panels but they just make me look um....very well endowed (I'm not). I'm not sure how one would go about resolving this from a dressmaking point of view though.
satori 01 Apr 2008
In reply to CJD:

you need a breast pocket - for coloured pens, used for ticking of routes in your guidebook
satori 01 Apr 2008
In reply to satori:

... and maybe a shoulder pocket for carrying sandwiches if doing multipitch.
dinkypen 01 Apr 2008
In reply to CJD:

I'd like a diddy little pocket in me collar fer me lippy ...could you build that in as a design feature, please, Ms CJD? Pleeeze? Much appreciated
OP CJD 01 Apr 2008
In reply to A Jo by any Other Name:

oo, so a broader yoke area?

just to be clear to all, this shirt is for me, and I'm suspecting it'll be a longer term project than the shirt I'm currently making, which will do for work and stuff... but I'll let you know how the prototype works out!
 anansie 01 Apr 2008
In reply to CJD:

Can you post a photo of it once it's made too? Curious as to how it'll look
OP CJD 01 Apr 2008
In reply to anansie:

I will do!

anansie 01 Apr 2008
In reply to CJD:

Cool! I was thinking you could name it your UKC shirt aswell hee hee ..i know..oops!..there goes my imagination again ha ha!! :-P
 nikinko 02 Apr 2008
In reply to CJD:

long enough not to ride up under your harness.

hardwearing but wikcing material.

'Tecnique beat BF&I' printed across teh back...
 KA_R36 02 Apr 2008
In reply to CJD:

a material that is not not going to bobble both looking studid and wearing out in next to no time.

needs to be shaped, I agree plenty of room across shoulders. I currently would not climb in a shirt as all I have found are too small across the back or if big enough there are baggy in the midsection and flap around too much as hang off larger shapely top half. also needs not to be too tight at hips.
 KiwiPrincess 02 Apr 2008
In reply to CJD:
Tha arms/armpits need to be smaller
You can't wear a man's shirt under a women's cut parka with out uncomfortable pull up in the armpit, and men's vests let the wind down half your side.
Not too baggy down sides as it gets in the way of gear loops.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...