UKC

Rock and Run Cams

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MattKelk 10 Apr 2008
Anyone used the Rock and Run Cams, what are they like? They're a lot cheaper than the Branded ones.
 CJD 10 Apr 2008
In reply to MattKelk:

there's been a few mentions of them on the forum. Iirc they're made by wild country, and they're just like older WC cams, i.e. they don't have the cam stops.

I've got a couple on my rack and can't see owt wrong with them. They're not as lovely as BD camalots but few things in life are...
 OblongBob 10 Apr 2008
In reply to MattKelk: I've got some, they work fine (except no limits so you can't use as passive gear, not that I do use them for that)....though I've never fallen on them. not the most beautiful piece of kit, but functional.
madorangepanda 10 Apr 2008
In reply to MattKelk:
You may be interested in the clog cams, the same thing as the Rock and run cams and on offer here
http://www.urbanrock.com/products_detail.php?CatId=403&PId=2247
 jkarran 10 Apr 2008
In reply to MattKelk:

They'll be fine quality wise but be aware they're an old design, they don't have full strength cam-stops.

Cam stops, in case you're unaware, help prevent the cam from 'inverting' and pulling out if placed too-open or if it walks into a wider part of the placement. They're worth having, the meagre money saved will be no consolation to you if you ever test the stops.

http://www.v12outdoor.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=69_39&products... these are only a few quid more, top quality, light, have stops and the bonus extendable sling of course.

There'll be similar offers available elsewhere and on WC tech' friends.

Buy the best kit you can if you plan to stick with it.

jk

jk
 mp3ferret 10 Apr 2008
In reply to jkarran: Just bought 3 - lovely. Now all I need is some nice weather and some horrible flared grit grooves.

grumsta 10 Apr 2008
In reply to mp3ferret:

Yeah I just ordered three the other night - my first cams, woo!
 jkarran 10 Apr 2008
In reply to each of you:

3 of what... 4CU's on the deal?

Now as you say... time to get your hands mashed up in the grit cracks
jk
 mp3ferret 10 Apr 2008
In reply to jkarran: Yep, the 4CU's deal on the V12 site.
 Monk 10 Apr 2008
In reply to MattKelk:

As I have mentioned before the R+R cams are perfectly functional bits of kit. They don't have cam stops, but who the hell needs camstops in sizes bigger than 0.5?! I have never heard any stories of people being saved by camstops.

I have had budget cams, including from R+R for over 10 years, and am yet to regret it.
Rat know-all 10 Apr 2008
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to MattKelk)
>

> I've got a couple on my rack and can't see owt wrong with them. They're not as lovely as BD camalots but few things in life are...

Apart from you M'Lady ; - )
 grumsta 10 Apr 2008
In reply to jkarran:
> (In reply to each of you)
>
> 3 of what... 4CU's on the deal?
>
> Now as you say... time to get your hands mashed up in the grit cracks
> jk

Yup!
 grumsta 10 Apr 2008
In reply to MattKelk:

The Outdoor Shop are doing Wild Country Tech Friends 0.5, 1.5 and 2.5 together as a set for £89 (plus delivery I think). Dunno how these compare to the DMM 4CUs...

http://www.theoutdoorshop.net/showPart_large.asp?part=PN31509
 Rich Guest 10 Apr 2008
In reply to jkarran:
> (In reply to MattKelk)
>
> They'll be fine quality wise

It appears that you're making that statement without the benefit of having used them... apologies if you have!
Have you any grounds for making that ascertion?

See the thing is.... they're crap IMHO (having had some), very inferior in quality to Wild Country cams in terms of durability and longevity. I won't buy any more.

CENSORED 10 Apr 2008
In reply to Cragrat Rich: They're the same ones as I was paying £30-35 each for in the early 90's. That was when £30-35 would fill my car with diesel and my face with ginsters!
 Big Steve 11 Apr 2008
In reply to MattKelk: I dont like them, I brought some and sold them a few months later (onebay for a small profilt!). They just didnt shout quality at me, they looked cheap, felt cheap and I never had much confidence when I placed them. Dont let that put you off though
 Rich Guest 11 Apr 2008
In reply to Big Steve:
> (In reply to MattKelk) They just didnt shout quality at me, they looked cheap, felt cheap and I never had much confidence when I placed them. Dont let that put you off though

Lol...Don't expect it to turn you on either!
 CJD 11 Apr 2008
In reply to Cragrat Rich:
> (In reply to jkarran)
> [...]
>
>
> It appears that you're making that statement without the benefit of having used them... apologies if you have!
> Have you any grounds for making that ascertion?
>
> See the thing is.... they're crap IMHO (having had some), very inferior in quality to Wild Country cams in terms of durability and longevity. I won't buy any more.

but... but aren't they made by Wild Country?
 Monk 11 Apr 2008
> (In reply to jkarran)
> [...]
>
>
> See the thing is.... they're crap IMHO (having had some), very inferior in quality to Wild Country cams in terms of durability and longevity. I won't buy any more.

I disagree. Sure, they aren't as nice and shiny aas WC ones but I have never had a problem with their longevity. In fact, I should really think about replacing my first ones as they are about 12 years old now....
 Monk 11 Apr 2008
In reply to Big Steve:

Any gear sold in the UK has to be CE marked and meet strength criteria. They are perfectly safe.

Obviously more expensive cams may or may not have a wider margin of safety, i don't know. Branded cams are shinier and more nicely finished and maybe slightly smoother all round in use, but if you are not exactly rolling in cash (as many people aren't) I think these cams are perfectly functional at a reasonable price.

Also check out Needlesports for cheap cams.
 Rich Guest 11 Apr 2008
In reply to Monk:
> (In reply to Cragrat Rich)
> [...]
>
> I have never had a problem with their longevity. In fact, I should really think about replacing my first ones as they are about 12 years old now....

No wonder...
For someone who climbs 6c+ sport and 7a+ Indoors but has only onsighted to VS trad... I'd be surprised if you've EVER even used them! 8-0

I stick to the opinion I offered the OP which is that in the long run, these cheaper cams are not worth the saving in cost. Much better to buy fewer top quality ones
 Rich Guest 11 Apr 2008
In reply to CJD:
> [...]
>
> but... but aren't they made by Wild Country?

They're a cheaper production, licenced by Wild Country

I'm yet to find anything in life, produced cheaply, which is a better quality product than it's more expensive counterpart...

Skoda Owners may disagree of course!! 8-)
 CJD 11 Apr 2008
> (In reply to CJD)
> [...]
>
> They're a cheaper production, licenced by Wild Country

ah! thank you!
>
> I'm yet to find anything in life, produced cheaply, which is a better quality product than it's more expensive counterpart...

home grown veg

Chris James 11 Apr 2008
> (In reply to CJD)
> [...]
>
> They're a cheaper production, licenced by Wild Country
>
> I'm yet to find anything in life, produced cheaply, which is a better quality product than it's more expensive counterpart...
>
> Skoda Owners may disagree of course!! 8-)

All friends are produced under licence from Wild Country. I believe DMM make both WC flexible friends and Clog / Rock and Run Cams (to the old WC design).

My mate has some and they look fine to me. Maybe, as an engineer, he actually takes care of his gear?
 Monk 11 Apr 2008

errr.... check my profile again. I actually climb a lot harder than VS. You have looked at my worked grades I suspect, and they are really not very accurate....
Simon Marsh 11 Apr 2008
In reply to Chris James:

I believe DMM make both WC flexible friends and Clog / Rock and Run Cams (to the old WC design).

Chris,

I should just clarify that DMM only make the Wild Country Technical Friends. DMM do not make the Clog or Rock and Run Cams.

Regards

Simon Marsh

DMM

Chris James 11 Apr 2008
In reply to Simon Marsh:

Thanks for that Simon, well that shows what I know!

davefount 11 Apr 2008
In reply to MattKelk: I brought one beause it was cheap, it works fine, but weights the same as all my other cams (4cus) put together. Weight aside once you have tried double stem designs with extending extenders you won't want to look back. I wish I had saved a bit more first and got a 4cu.
 dannym2710 11 Apr 2008
In reply to MattKelk: ive got some of the needlesports cheapo cams and theyre as good as any others that ive used really.have had no problems with them not having cam stops and although they do looks quite cheaply made, i have a fair bit of confidence in them
 Rich Guest 11 Apr 2008
In reply to Monk:
>
> You have looked at my worked grades I suspect

so I have, apologies for oversight!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...