UKC

Compass Trouble

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The short story is:

Day 1:
Campsite in Spain, 400m and warm. Compass Fine. At 1600m and cold there was a large bubble. Returned to site at the end of the day and bubble gone.

Day 2: Took the spare compass and exactly the same happened.

To be fair, I am not really needing to use a compass but having noticed the bubble on the first day I kept looking to see when the bubble went. I reckon it is about 1200m which is pretty much the snow line.

Is it the height change or the temperature change that is causing this? Do I need to buy new compassess or is this normal? I would bin it if it had a bubble at sea level but it is ok on the campsite.

Gwilym
 Lemony 12 Apr 2008
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp: It's an altitude thing. They should be fine.
In reply to Lemony:

Thanks for that. I wouldn't have thought 1200m was high enough to effect them but I am happy if I don't need to buy another 1 (or 2)
topout123 12 Apr 2008
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp:

Same thing happened to my Silva Type 4,last Wednesday, and I was only doing a walk from Bont Newydd and around the peaks and back. Weather was really bad, very low viz,deep snow on top and very cold. thats when I noticed a bubble in my compass, which I put down to the freezing cold. Compass worked ok enough, and bubble has gone. Yours should be ok too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...