UKC

which approach shoe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kms 15 Apr 2008
ok off to thailand in few days for 3 weeks

bangkok (shopping, site seeing etc), chiang mai (again plus trekking), and then all beaches after that with climbing thrown in

i have the 510 retros so they are not going with me (barely any comfort in the sole for long days out and trekking)

i'm thinking of the 510 guide tennies, downside is the sole is the same dot rubber as the retros so no real comforting tread, and in the climate i'm gonna be in they look very unbreathable

or shall i opt for a pair of tnf's i've seen (gore, stylish approach/running types)

i am looking for style too as these will be my day to day shoes whilst over there...basically i'm torn between style and practicality for both countries here and over there

cheers
 abcdef 15 Apr 2008
In reply to kms: flip-flops? the guide who took us trekking wore them.

i just had normal trainers (along with f-f's), they were fine. would avoid leather, and just have running shoe type, since more breathable. what the feck do you want goretex shoes for in that heat/humidity??

its like the european backpackery tourist types you see walking about glasgow wearing a pair of 4 season boots?! totally OTT
OP kms 15 Apr 2008
In reply to abcdef:

flip flops would be ok, if i was 100% comfortable and knew the terrain.

only trainers i have left cost me £100 and dont really want to trash them and if i can get some half decent approach then i wouldn't need to take them anyways

cheers abt the gore, it was an option as i was thinking abt practicality for when i return and wear them for fighting thru bracken in the autumn

i think your reply has swayed me towards a the lighter tnf or similar options
 bpmclimb 15 Apr 2008
In reply to kms: The Evolv Stryker gets a good review in Climber (May 08). I'd like a pair myself.
Bob kate bob 15 Apr 2008
In reply to kms:
What about http://cragx.com/shop/quarter-dome-p-1229.html

they wouldn't break the bank and they seem to have a more subtantial tread.
 8ace 15 Apr 2008
In reply to kms:

If you're one of the remaining sizes I can recommend these. More fell-running than an approach shoe, but they're feather light, breathable, comfortable, decent tread and piss-cheap.

http://www.rockrun.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=3998

In reply to kms:

I've got Scarpa Zens - they're great. A good snug fit and sticky enough for up to V.Diff, but with a proper tread not the Tennie-type dots.
 Morgan Woods 15 Apr 2008
In reply to kms:

what about those things known as "trainers" or "running shoes".....i believe a few different companies make them.
OP kms 15 Apr 2008
In reply to kms:

thanks for the decent replies

not sure if i made thing's clear but i'd like comfortable approach shoes with good tread because of the good mix of walking/sightseeing/trekking that we're planning on doing when we're out there. on our return i do plan to wear them again for the times i do get to visit the crags.

"trainers" were not what i was asking for
 galpinos 15 Apr 2008
In reply to kms:

I've got the Scarpa's with the sole like the tennies. They're really confortable and great on rock/scrambling but if you're anywhere near wet grass you'll be on your arse in seconds.
 BelleVedere 15 Apr 2008
In reply to kms:

For sight seeing/beach ect then sandals are the order of the day - either el cheapo flip flops - or something like teva's.

For shopping in bancock - just wear what you would normally wear for shopping.
 The New NickB 15 Apr 2008
In reply to kms:

My advise would be to find some that are heavily discounted, make not really an issue as long as quality looks OK, try them on, if they are comfortable, buy them.
In reply to kms: I have some scarpa quest ones and they seem great for approaches, surprisingly! Did a bit of a mountain walk on hard ground and could feel the lack of cushioning on the way down so longer days would need something softer underfoot I would think. You can climb in them probably to somehere in the VD to HS range too but if your crap like me you probably would struggle above VD.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...