UKC

Belay plates and Cassin??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mgg 21 Apr 2008

Keen to retire my ATC after quite a while and reasonably keen on a Reverso, or the new model when it comes, as they seem popular. Just been looking at a Cassin Piu which seems to be very similar to the new reverso and it is cheaper. Anybody any experince of these or similar plates?

Also whats Cassin gear like in general? they seem to be good from what i've seen on the net i've never seen any stock in the UK. Thet're ice gear in particulary.
 jamestheyip 21 Apr 2008
In reply to mgg:
Walkhigh Mountaineering stocks some Cassin gear including the Piu:

http://walkhigh.co.uk/acatalog/Belay_Devices.html

Why do you need to retire the ATC? The ATC XP/Guide are very nice devices. Smooth on giving rope yet good friction on catching falls. A friend of mine has the Cassin Piu but later on bought an ATC Guide instead. The ATC Guide works better on icy 8mm rope than any other devices I've tried. The standard ATC XP is a bit wider and works smoother on 11mm indoor rope.

Mammut also make a device very similar to the Piu call Matrix. They are both a bit lighter than the ATC guide but I reckon the Guide grips better. I don't like the Reverso personally - too bulky and not very grippy. The new one looks like a better design.

The only Cassin gear I own is an old 'Extreme' ice axe which I quite like. Pretty good build quality.
 jamestheyip 21 Apr 2008
In reply to jamestheyip:
Apart from weight/friction the main difference between the Mammut Matrix/Cassin Piu to the BD ATC Guide/new Reverso is that the former have no front releasing slot. So if you need to give slack to your second after the rope is locked it will be rather fiddly.
OP mgg 21 Apr 2008
In reply to mgg:

My ATC has been on the go for 8yrs and whilst i like it alot it's getting quite worn. I'd like something i can direct belay from. I've used a ATCguide but i wasn't totally struck with it.
 miku979 21 Apr 2008
In reply to mgg: How about a Reverso? Fantastic for direct belays, especially if you're bringing two seconds up. Also very good device for abseiling.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...