UKC

Baden Baden climbing, Germany

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 1234None 25 Apr 2008
Anyone know anything about the climbing at Schwartzwald etc. Rock type? Bolted? Etc...

I've got to be out there for aouple of days so any info appreciated...

cheers

Dave
 The Pylon King 25 Apr 2008
In reply to 1234None:

I played at a festival in Baden Baden 10 years ago:

youtube.com/watch?v=N_pGwpqfQM8&
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 25 Apr 2008
In reply to 1234None:

Went there on the way home from Switz once, nice enough, knobbly granite in the trees mostly and bolted. Single pitch, there was a ban on chalk way back then (which we observed) though that was about 20 years since!

Chris

PS every car in the area seemed to a big black Merc!
 Alan Rubin 25 Apr 2008
In reply to 1234None: I climbed at the Battert below the Schloss above Baden-Baden about 20 years ago for a day. A decent enough place. As Chris says a number of buttresses --1 and 2 pich--in the trees, though the rock is some form of volcanic not granite. The climbing is trad with a few Dresden-style ring bolts on some routes (though nuts and friends are allowed!!!!).Chalk was, and I believe still is, officially banned, but I saw some tell-tale white marks on some of the harder routes. The area has a climbing history that goes way back, and has a good selection of routes of different styles and grades. In atmosphere it felt more akin to British climbing than typical Continental crags. I am aware that there are a number of other crags of varying rock-type elsewhere in the Schwartzwald but have no first-hand knowledge of them. Given that the Battert is quite worthwhile and so easily accessible from Baden and just a short walk from the car park to the crag, it seems to be the best bet for your short visit.When we were there we purchased a copy of the then-current guidebook from some climbers who had access to the mountain rescue hut below the crag (mountain rescue were the publishers), but I imagine you can pick up a copy in a book or sports store in town while you are there. If you are there on a weekend I'm sure you'll run into some locals.
 Dom Whillans 25 Apr 2008
In reply to 1234None:

can i recommend the "gold ochsen" beer for your stay. lovely beer!
OP 1234None 26 Apr 2008
In reply to Alan Rubin and Chris Craggs:

Thanks guys - I'll leave the chalk at home then!

The granite stuff in the forest looks pretty inviting, so I might do a couple of days there and try to squeeze in a day at the Battert too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...