UKC

Jetboil Piezo Problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TMM 30 Apr 2008
I've read through the following thread.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=284191&v=1#x4216775

Does anyone have any advice on dismantling the stove or how to get the igniter out of the housing?

Is it possible to but a replacement igniter?

The igniter is currently so useless (doesn't spark, sparks in the wrong places, sparks in the right place but does not ignite gas) that I may as well chuck the part.

I've sent Jetboil and email but have yet to have a reply.
 Reach>Talent 30 Apr 2008
In reply to TMM:
I've seen a few non-sparking jetboils and the cause has been a cracked insulator in both cases (the ceramic tube). I'm not sure how easy it is to replace though. In both cases I suspect the igniter got broken in transit as the gas cylinder bounced about inside the mug.
 Richard Hall 30 Apr 2008
In reply to TMM: Yep, broke mine in about 2 weeks. Don't think it is worth replacing unless there is a new part which has fixed the poblem.
OP TMM 30 Apr 2008
In reply to Richard Hall:

I've just seen there is a maintenance kit that includes a new jet, 'o' rings and piezo igniter.

It retails for $9.95 in the US or £9.99 in the UK!!

It's available for about £6-7 from UK stockists but the £3+ postage seems excessive.

Anyone seen a cheap stockist with free postage?
 dirtbag1 30 Apr 2008
In reply to TMM:
I saw some last week in Lakes Climber & Runner in Ambleside.
015394 33660
billy no-mates 30 Apr 2008
In reply to TMM:

Hijack!

My jetboil seems to greatly reduced in performance and no longer boils water anywhere nearly as fast as it used to. The gas doesn't go up much past one turn, I've stripped it several times, can't find any blockage and have replaced the cylinder as well. Any idea whats up with it?

Bill
 Lemony 30 Apr 2008
In reply to TMM: £6.99 from needlesports
OP TMM 30 Apr 2008
In reply to TMM:

Just ordered from here

http://secure.lakesrunner.com/index.php

£7 including postage.
 danm 30 Apr 2008
In reply to TMM: Yeah, the igniter is pretty poor. If the ceramic insulator (white bit)isn't cracked, you can carefully adjust the spark gap by bending the wire. This usually gets knocked out during transport though.

To replace the igniter, unscrew the burner head and remove the outer panel. The igniter is so prone to damage and moves out of position, I would sack it off and buy some cheapo lighters instead.

Poor boil times:
Most likely low gas pressure (change the cartridge)
Blocked gas jet. Replace jet, or take out cotton wool filter, clean and replace.
Could be a faulty seal? Change o-ring.
Or, check the burner head is complete. My flame spreader (central wire wool mesh) fell out on mine, had this effect.

If you have problems maybe contact the dudes at Lyon, the importer? Despite these problems, I love my Jetboil - great idea, just not brilliantly well made.
In reply to TMM:

I've found that mine is also erratic, and a bit of investigation revealed that there appears to be a design fault, in that the grounding of the body of the igniter is poor, so the electrical circuit fails, or sparks form in places where they shouldn't. Jiggling the igniter can recover the situation, but, since the action is fairly fierce, ot soon comes out of place again.
 IainWhitehouse 30 Apr 2008
In reply to TMM:

>
> Is it possible to but a replacement igniter?
>

I don't know but it is possible to get them for free. I think your local shop should be able to get them from Lyon. I had one last week although I can't lay my hands on it right now.

HTH Iain
OP TMM 01 May 2008
In reply to TMM:

UPDATE:

I've just had an email from Jetboil. They suggested contacting the UK distributor, Lyon Equipment.

I've just given them a call and they are sending me a replacement igniter unit.

Some observations. Jetboil were not exactly quick to respond to an email. 2 and half days.

Lyon Equipment were brilliant. They really couldn't have been more helpful. They acknowledged that there was a design fault and were genuinely interested in some user feedback. Looking forward to seeing the replacement arrive soon.

I asked the good people at Lyon if they were happy for me to post their details on UK climbing regarding this and they said they had no problems with that.

If you've got a failed Piezo unit then call or write to Lyon and ask them nicely for some help.

Please get in touch with our UK distributor. They will be able to
address your issue.

Their information is:

Lyon Equipment
Dent - Sedbergh
Cumbria LA10 5QL United Kingdom
+44 (0) 15396 25493
www.lyon.co.uk

Thanks to everyone else who responded.
george yardley 01 May 2008
In reply to TMM: Cheers for posting this I have had exactly the same problems with mt Jetboil,I have just contacted Lyon and hopefully they will sort it out.

Craig Yardley.
 Gibson 01 May 2008
Nice one, I just thought it was mine as my mate's seems to work perfectly!
Will give these guys a shout.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...