UKC

Almscliff or Caley (or even Brimham)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cathirst 06 May 2008
I'm down in Leeds at the end of this week and i'm going to get out and about to do some climbing. I have my rope, slings, krabs, quickdraws, but none of my hexes/rocks/nuts (ie - my leading rack. I stupidly left it at my parents house). Where out of the above places is the best to go for top roping routes?

Cheers me dears.
 MeMeMe 06 May 2008
In reply to cathirst:

Caley has trees you could sling at the top of the main edge but doesn't have a huge amount of routes.

At Almscliff and Brimham you'd generally need gear I think.

Why not go bouldering? All 3 are good for that.
OP cathirst 06 May 2008
In reply to MeMeMe: Yeah that sounds more sensible. Might just go for that instead!
 jkarran 06 May 2008
In reply to cathirst:

There's plenty you can toprope at Brimham with a 50/60m rope if you're happy rigging with it (eg looped aroung a rock). There's also plenty of ankle friendly bouldering if you haven't got a mat. I'd go to Brimham.

Almscliff you need gear to set up ropes on most routes though you could use jammed knots to safely access a few more.

Caley is similar. There's trees but they're not that useful and there's not that many routes. Depends what/how much you want to do really.
 SouthernSteve 06 May 2008
In reply to jkarran:
I would second Brimham - certainly most of cubic block would be possible amongst many others - although some longish slings are needed to stop rope drag. There is a fine 'tradition' of top-roping there by the local outdoor centre.
OP cathirst 06 May 2008
In reply to SouthernSteve: Thanks for your advice guys. Think bouldering at Brimham has won....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...