UKC

Crux Flak Pants or Rab Latok Alpine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JH 07 May 2008
I want some new pants, and am thinking of either Crux or Rab. Which do people reckon are the best for alpine and winter climbing?

BTW. Whilst I am not exactly skin and bone, I'm no Billy Bunter either, but I am quite tall so need an "athletic cut" with a longish leg.

Any comments on either of the above welcome.

Cheers

JH
 TMM 07 May 2008
In reply to JH:

Hi,

I'm interested in this as well.

I've got the Flak jacket and it's fantastic. Great performance and build quality.

I know someone with the Rab pants and they've been disappointed in the build quality.

I'd like to get some Flak pants but can't find them for much less than £150. Have you seen any good deals?
JH 07 May 2008
In reply to TMM:

I have also heard that Rab quality is not what it used to be.

I live in Spain so will have to buy on the internet, hence the need for sensible comments about size, quality etc.

Best price I have seen for Flack pants is also I50 pounds. I am hoping that with the exchange rate (pound to euro)I can get a deal.

Cheers JH

moo 10 May 2008
In reply to JH:

i have the latpk alpine pants and i really like them if i was gonna get a new pair i would buy th crux's harder wearing and (i find) better cut
 andy_b135 10 May 2008
In reply to JH: I've been looking at the same pants but I'm starting to sway towards the montane spectras, they might be worth a look.
JH 10 May 2008
In reply to andy_b135:

Interesting, and not a bad price here;

http://www.ultimateoutdoors.co.uk/item/Montane_MontaneSpectraPants_0_79_254...

Anybody got them and care to comment?

JH
Melnyk 23 May 2008
In reply to JH:

Hi

re RAB quality. I am a recent total RAB convert (having moved from Mountain Equipment)and would say the following:

All RAB down products are manufactured here in the UK so no problems with quality control. Production of other RAB products takes place in the far east, and obvioulsy if there is a production fault of any kind, the first anyone really knows about it, it when the first consignment arrives here in the UK. Notwithstnding this, RAB enforce very high Quality Control once the gear is here in the UK. I own over dozen of their products and have had very few niggles. In comparison, the quality of some of the ME products I have is, to put it bluntly, shit. For example the Starlight after six months had split seams, and the heat welded arm pocket had come away. The K2, hardshell (Gortext XCR) had a poor lining, the lamiate cuff adjustment split and the stiching on the snowskirt failed. In complete contrast I have had no such problems with any RAB product.

best wishes

Mike Melnyk
 mr rob 23 May 2008
In reply to JH: ha thats funny i owned about 6 bits of rab gear and the only thing that hasnt fallen apart is the sleeping bag, most of it seems sub par these days and when i tried to tell them that they were less than helpful.
 andy_b135 23 May 2008
In reply to JH: Just bought the spectra pants and they look the business. Outdoor shop are doing them for £100 at the moment.

Rab stuff I have to say has let me down too, I have the latok alpine and the vapour rise jacket and both have been back for repairs before they'd had 15 days use. I like event but I may have to start looking else where hence the montanes.
almost sane 23 May 2008
In reply to JH:
Cotswold are currently selling last year's colours of Mountain Hardwear jackets and trousers.

I'm only saying this because my trousers arrived today, and are very nice. So I don't mind if anybody else snatches them.

£40 a pair, with big long zips.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...