UKC

lofoten logistics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joebepi 20 Jun 2008
Yo people

I´m looking for some advice for a trip to lofoten. I know the new guidebook is out but unfortunately i´m out of the country at the moment.

My main question is whether it is easy to get around without a car once you´re there? are there local buses n ferries to get you around?
I´ll probably only be there for 2 weeks around the end of aug, start of sept. anyone been there around this time in the past?

many thanks
Joe
 TobyA 20 Jun 2008
In reply to joebepi:

> I´ll probably only be there for 2 weeks around the end of aug, start of sept. anyone been there around this time in the past?

Been toward the end of August before - was there for my birthday which is the 20th - so probably left on the 25th or something. Weather was perfect for 8 days.

Getting around would be a hassle with out a car. Lots of the climbing is quite close to each other, but not all.
siobhan 20 Jun 2008
In reply to joebepi:
Hi I came back from lofoten 3 weeks ago after spending 3 weeks there without a car and its fine!
You have to be willing to do a bit of hiking with big bags, we were carrying 25kg+++ on our backs as had tents, food, climbing kit etc. but we managed to spend a week on moskenes then catch the bus up to dupsfjord, spend a week camped on the freshwater fjord there before finding a free mtn hut for 2 nites by kabelvag.
It only takes about an hr to walk from dupsfjord to henningsvaer and all the crags are roadside on the way. The buses are daily, there are ferries to take you to many of the fjords on moskenesoy island. Paradiset is less than an hr walk on a road from the bus stop. And the bus is pretty cheap. We spent £200 each for 3 weeks there, had only 4 days of rain, and all in all it was amazing!!
Anyway let me know if you need any advice.
siobhan
 lex 20 Jun 2008
In reply to joebepi:

Been there twice without transport both times.

First time hitching was a nightmare - it just didn't happen. We looked just as scruffy second time but no problem. Were told that hitching is the province of rapscallions, thieves and drug addicts.

Buses have a habit of leaving 10 minutes before the ferry arrives (eg Bodo to Ae ferry - entailed a night kipping in the Ae bus shelter) and are not over-frequent.

But, its all part of the Arctic fun....

Lex
OP joebepi 21 Jun 2008
In reply to joebepi:
many thanks for the info! i think i´ll be heading up through sweden on a overnight train from gothenborg, cheaper than travelling through norway!
In reply to joebepi:

Typing this from Lofoten after a brilliant 10 days.

I would really recommend getting a car to get the most out of the place. You will miss out on a lot of crags and get very tired walking if you don't have one. You will be forced to shop mostly at the very expensive mini supermarkets in Henningsvaer. Also, if you get bad weather then it will be very miserable.
However, if you are on a limited budget, have good weather and manage to get all your camping gear here on the plane, then you should still have a good time.

Alan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...