UKC

Rope bag advice please?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MattKelk 17 Jul 2008
Can anyone give me advice on rope bags? There appears to be ones that are like a rucksack and one's that have a sling and can go over your shoulder or in the bottom of a big rucksack.
I know it's probably personal preference but can anyone share their experiences?
 Monk 17 Jul 2008
In reply to MattKelk:

Either style can easily be stuffed in a rucksack. My personal preferance is for a sling style bag as I will usually be carrying a rucksack already! However the bags I use is a rucksack style. I use it on it's own for sport or just use one of the straps if I am wearing another sack with trad gear etc.

To be honest, you are right - it is whatever you fancy really.
 gear boy 17 Jul 2008
In reply to MattKelk: as long as it has a decent size tarp then a simple one is fine,
i have one i use for indoors and it fits in rope, harness and all the bits i need, if i am using the tarp outdoors i just take the tarp, as it is detachable from the bag
stizzy 17 Jul 2008
In reply to MattKelk: cant go wrong with one of these
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/8214680000492
 Swig 17 Jul 2008
In reply to MattKelk:

I'm thinking about something like this.. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/vuarde-30-3265523/#

It's got some structure to the storage and a tarp. I'd probably only tend to use a ropebag for sport climbing anyway.

I saw one at cliffhanger. Might be worth a look if you life near a decathlon.
Removed User 17 Jul 2008
In reply to stizzy: picked one up at Cliffhanger for a fiver!! (plus other bargains too)
 mrjonathanr 17 Jul 2008
In reply to MattKelk:
I've got a great DMM one with tarp and shoulder straps just like a rucsac. In fact it is a rucsac, sort of. Unfortunately it's a complete waste of time of time. I've already got a rucsac and don't climb much at dusty French crags (anymore) where all the grit gets into the sheath unless you've a tarp to lay it on.
Personally I wouldn't bother but if you must, try Decathlon, simple and cheap.
 antwan 17 Jul 2008
In reply to stizzy:
> (In reply to MattKelk) cant go wrong with one of these
> http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/8214680000492

I have one of those, dont really use it anymore as its easier to strap the rope to the outside of my rucksack or just shove it in the top if i aint carrying the kitchen sink

Cuts down on weight a little
 Monk 18 Jul 2008
In reply to mrjonathanr:

I still like rope bags for sport climbing and for damp days at single pitch crags. It keeps the rope dry and clean, and gives you a dry place to put your rock shoes on.
 kipper12 18 Jul 2008
In reply to MattKelk:

The IKEA ones for 50p
 stewart100 18 Jul 2008
second that!
 mungo 18 Jul 2008
In reply to MattKelk:
I have one of the Decathlon types and cant fault it..
I use it as a rucksack, loads of hoops for clipping/sorting gear, comes with a tarp,gets my lids belay jacket flask etc in and as a handy rope attachment thing on outside...
Jobs a good un..
Had a sling style one previous and boy did it suck carrying it on long walk-ins, but that was a few years ago with my ships anchor 11mm beginers rope which was heavy as you like !!!!
Jamie.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...