UKC

Tape knot - how to?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Shandy 24 Jul 2008
Hi, I've searched the forums (fora?) trying to find a link to an online demonstration of how to tie a proper tape knot (I want to make a nice big 8' loop). Can't find anything, can anyone point me in the right direction? Is a figure-8 or double fisherman's suitable?
 Richard Hall 24 Jul 2008
In reply to Shandy: It is just a retheaded overhand knot.
OP Shandy 24 Jul 2008
In reply to Richard Hall: Ah, thank you.
 Morty 24 Jul 2008
In reply to Shandy:
Tie a loose overhand knot in one end - then thread the other end through following the shape of the knot backwards.
 Rob Exile Ward 24 Jul 2008
OP Shandy 24 Jul 2008
In reply to john howard 1:

> but this is a better description
> http://www.animatedknots.com/waterknot/index.php?

Great site!
OP Shandy 24 Jul 2008
oh, I see - the ends are the opposite way round.
 Jasonic 24 Jul 2008
In reply to Shandy: Ensure you leave long ends and tighten with bodyweight. One reason why sewn slings were invented was it can come undone...
OP Shandy 24 Jul 2008
In reply to Jasonic:
> (In reply to Shandy) Ensure you leave long ends and tighten with bodyweight. One reason why sewn slings were invented was it can come undone...

Gulp...
 Mark Bull 24 Jul 2008
In reply to Shandy:

> Gulp...

Gaffer taping the tails down helps too. I remember seeing someone use a knotted sling as a harness to abseil on and the knot working loose (back in the days before sit harnesses were common). Fortunately he didn't come to any harm!
OP Shandy 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Mark Bull:
I remember seeing someone use a knotted sling as a harness to abseil on and...

Yeah, I seem to remember doing that as a child - my step-dad equalised the sling with a screwgate, if memory serves correctly.
In reply to Shandy:
> (In reply to Mark Bull)
> I remember seeing someone use a knotted sling as a harness to abseil on and...
>

That was absolutely standard in the late 60s before harnesses came out. Just a 10ft long piece of 1" tape, tape-knotted into a sling, and then linked together to the abseil krab with the 'three loops' method (far better than the simpler figure of 8 sling).
 beardy mike 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Mark Bull: And make sure you don't clip the gaffertape instead of the sling. Sounds stupid but I know someone who's done it and did come to some harm.
In reply to mike kann:

Fascinating your suggestion that it resulted only in 'some harm'.
 beardy mike 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: I would have thought you of all people would be a master of the classical british art of understatement What I mean is she didn't die. Although she nearly did.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...