UKC

Silva Compass 2-360

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Doug Howie 09 Dec 2002
I have a question about Silva Compass 2-360 @ http://www.rockrun.com/shop/prod.html?d=17&t=181&p=1362 :
What are the benifits with this compass compared to the 3nc-360.
 Nige G 11 Dec 2002
In reply to Doug Howie: pretty much a personal preference thing - do you mean the 3nl-360 for comparison?
they look much the same on the R+R pages but i wonder if the 2-360 has a bigger baseplate? depends what sort of use you put it to - for bearings in the field i prefer a bigger baseplate than some on offer - i also prefer a compass with romer scales
personally i would recommend Silva Compass 15TDCL-360. but its down to own preference
Kev 12 Dec 2002
In reply to Doug Howie:

From the pictures, the only difference seems to be the Triangle and Circle cut-outs. these would be useful if you were preparing routes by actually marking the map (for groups perhaps). A roamer would be far more useful though. The 15TDCL compass recommended above is very good, but unless you expect to be taking lots of sighted bearings (pretty unlikely) the extra bulk probably counts as a disadvantage.

I use the type 4-360 which has both a roamer and a circular cut-out, it is very good (and also the one used by the Army for the vast majority of tasks). It is pretty robust, but by no means indestructable.

At the end of the day any of the compasses listed on the same page on the R+R site will do the job and the rest is personal preference/the specific job you want it to do.

If I were buying a new one I would either get another Type 4, a type 54-360 or the 15TDCL depending on how flush I was that month and how often I realistically thought I'd need to take an especially accurate sighted bearing.

What ever you do, you won't regret buying one with a roamer!

Kev

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...