UKC

Greenland Expedition Info

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ian dawson 12 Aug 2008
Has anyone on the forum organised an independent trip to Greenland recently?
If so - I would be grateful if I could pick your brains. Cheers, Ian

Rose2 12 Aug 2008
In reply to ian dawson:
Tasermuit Fjord expedition will be back in a few days and I'm sure they will tell you all about it! Your thread might have gone by then so maybe repost next week?
 The Bushman 13 Aug 2008
In reply to ian dawson:

What do you ant to know?
Went to NE Greenland last year independant with friends.
Excellent trip not over expensive
Those who have used agents/middle men/logistics "experts" like tangant may have had very different experiences. I have heard HORROR stories of abandonment high cost etc....

maria85 13 Aug 2008
In reply to ian dawson: Not as such but I've been to Greenland and have experience with/friends who have used tangent... can probably tell you some useful stuff. Drop me an email.
ian dawson 13 Aug 2008
In reply to The Bushman: Dear Bushman, do you have any contacts or trip reports I could look at.
If possible I'm keen not to use middlemen. Cheers, Ian
 earlsdonwhu 13 Aug 2008
In reply to ian dawson: Just back from Knud Rasmussen Glacier .....trip organised by matt Spenceley of GES.

Mail me for info if you like.. all I would say is that from scratching around at the very edge of the place it is absolutely stunning!!! Would love to go back at some stage. IT is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 chrisprescott 13 Aug 2008
In reply to ian dawson: I was there for a month last summer walking and kayaking around the southern coastline, dont mind giving you some info on what we did if you want it
 Arjen 13 Aug 2008
In reply to the thread:

Why email instead of using the forums? When using the forums many more people have access to the data, as everything posted here gets archived.
When its about personal stuff its different, but for stuff like this it would be perfect if other people could read other people's experiences too.
 GDes 18 Aug 2008
In reply to ian dawson: What exactly do you want to know? We're just back from the Tasermiut Fjord, which we organised independently. Most people who go to south greenland pass through Nanortalik, get in touch with Niels at the Nanortalik Tourist Office to arrange boats etc.

Mail me if you want more info

Cheers
 passerby 21 Aug 2008
In reply to ian dawson:

Ian,

I organised an independent expedition to Eastern Greenland (Watkins Mtns area) in summer 2006. There's a pretty comprehensive report you can download here http://www.oxfordgreenland06.com/REPORT.pdf

Give me a shout if you have any questions.

Cheers
Ben
 Simon Hodgson 21 Aug 2008
In reply to ian dawson: Not independent trip, but went on a trip with Tangent Expeditions in May/June to the East cost (North of the Watkins Mountains, skiing south to Gunnbjornsfjeld) went with Tangent expeditions.

Even if you're want to do an independent expedition, it's probably worth talking to Tangent, especially if you're planning to use a ski plane. The cheapest Twin Otter in the region is based in Iceland, Tangent try to run several expeditions at the same time, so the astronomical cost of plane hire is shared between all of the expeditions.

Build in lots of spare time, I went on a 3 week trip, but only spent about 8 days travelling on the ice. We waited 3 days for good weather to get the ski plane onto the ice, then spent 3 days trying to free the ski plane when it got stuck in the snow, then had 3 days during the trip waiting out storms.

Let me know if you've anymore questions, there's loads of photos on my website - see my profile for the address.

Simon
 alex 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Simon Hodgson:

Also check out BMC expedition reports - some with full pdfs online:

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/expeditionreports/Default.aspx

(Click on Greenland)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...