UKC

primus Eta power, jetboil or MSR reactor?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
anthonyecc 30 Aug 2008
I can't decide which one to go for. anyone used any of these stoves who would like to tell me wht the pros and cons are?
 winhill 30 Aug 2008
In reply to anthonyecc:

cons: they're all really heavy.

pros: many happy hours spent trying to think of complicated reasons why they are better. Lighter wallet to compensate for heavier stove.
 jas wood 30 Aug 2008
In reply to anthonyecc: i can vouch for the jetboil being very very quick and a canister although small lasts a long time due to the boil time being so quick.
size is around that of a nalgene bottle but you only need to take a spork and your done!,very light to carry and you can brew up/cook with the entire stove in one hand (better someone else is driving though

only draw backs are the fact that you are limited to what you can cook properly pasta,noodles,soup cous cous etc are fine but you couldn,t knock up a sunday lunch !!

all in all perfect for car,bivvy,wild camp and brilliant for multi day climbs.
jas
anthonyecc 30 Aug 2008
In reply to jas wood: and i do like the fact you can hang it up, neither of the others have that facility. I was swaying towards the jetboil anyway, it was just the fact that the gas canisters have to be the small ones to fit inside.
 jas wood 31 Aug 2008
In reply to anthonyecc: i,ve used mine quite a lot since i,ve got it and i,d say a small canister would EASILY last three days on the hill and if you are going to be out for more it isn,t a lot of space for a second one.

seen plenty of pictures in mags etc of these stoves in use on multi day climbs by the "elite"

jas
 wilkie14c 31 Aug 2008
In reply to anthonyecc:

Another vote for the jetboil - the weak point is the ignigtion bit although mine hasn't gone yet. They are about 11 quid for a new one. As long as you don't put anything on top of it when its stores away inside the cup, shoud be fine. You should always carry a lighter / firestik anyway rather than rely on electronics!
500ml canister (although gigger than the actual jetboil!) are much cheaper for use in camp, saving your costly small ones for the hill. I have found they are better insulated against the snow by something, even a mapcase but i guess thats all gas stoves where the caniser is also the base.
 TMM 31 Aug 2008
In reply to blanchie14c:

No need to buy a replacement Piezo igniter if the one on your Jetboil fails. Just call Lyon Equipment (the UK distributor) and they will happily send you a replacement free of charge. Excellent service regarding a known design fault.
anthonyecc 31 Aug 2008
In reply to blanchie14c: I have to say that nothing really comes close to the jet boil does it? I was looking at the MSR Reactor in my shop and the boil times are attractive but the sheer size of it puts me off - it's huge!. The ETa power is nice but looks a lot less stable than the other two.
ledi 31 Aug 2008
In reply to anthonyecc: the small canister thats fits inside a jetboil will boil 12 litres of water approx. just recently got one in prep for a week trip on the ben this winter...bloody better get good conditions!!
anthonyecc 31 Aug 2008
In reply to scotty_webster: I'm hoping for a good few days up there too. if your looking for a partner let us know!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...