UKC

Can a compass just stop working?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 J Brown 21 Sep 2008
When I was in Glen Coe a couple of weeks ago I got my compass out to take a bearing (Silva - Ranger 3 I think). I knew where I was, and where I was going, but the mist came down so I thought I'd just get on a bearing. However, once I took the bearing off the map the compass was pointing in what I knew had to be the wrong direction.

I checked when I got home and instead of the needle pointing north, it was pointing pretty much south.

How could this have happened? Is it possible to 'fix' this? Or do I just need to ditch it and get a new one?
In reply to J Brown: I know nothing about these but could a strong magnet have screwed it up? But if it happened suddenly up there I'd guess it must be the aliens!!!
drmarten 21 Sep 2008
In reply to J Brown:
Evening J - If you have another compass, and you are happy it is working okay place both compasses on a flat surface next to each other. Keeping both compasses close as you can move them around one another, if you end up with the faulty compass north needle attracting/being attracted to the correct compass north then you've somehow managed to reverse the polarity on the faulty one. I've perhaps not explained it properly but it's not too difficult when observing the two needles. How? You've maybe had the compass stored next to something with a magnetic field which has managed to reverse the polarity, leaving it sitting on top of the telly or next to the PC won't help either. I assume the compasss didn't just flip there and then, this was you just noticing it had flipped, so chances are something happened to it while packed away. I think you can fix it by stroking a magnet along the needle but I think if you took it back to the shop (?) and showed them they will just give you a new one. Keep the old one and lend it to somebody you don't like.
drmarten 21 Sep 2008
In reply to J Brown:
And there's more, from a bit of googling - Silvas reply when queried with the same problem :
"Reversed Polarity
Golden Rule - Any make or type of magnetic compass, should be kept well clear of magnets and magnetic fields.The SILVA compasses are manufactured in the non-magnetic compass factory in Sweden.

Cause - Magnetic fields exist around, some car seat belts, electrical circuits, etc. and RAPID movements within inches of these items, or even ferrous (containing iron) metal, an iron gate or fence for example, may affect polarity of the needle.

Effect - The needle either becomes sluggish and slow to settle (it may appear to stick and look out of balance) if its polarity is partially reversed, or may reverse its polarity completely. In the latter case, the "North" (usually red) seeking end of the needle will point South.
Cure - Quickly stroke the "South" pole of a strong magnet outwards along the "North" end of the needle. Repeat vice-versa. Compare with a compass that is known to be correct."

OP J Brown 21 Sep 2008
In reply to drmarten:

Thanks for that - will check out those solutions. Did you get out this weekend?
drmarten 22 Sep 2008
In reply to J Brown:
Only hillwalking in the far north, squeezing in a few trips "before the nights draw in" and then it's into winter mode.
 ianslade 22 Sep 2008
In reply to J Brown: Its sounds like it has de-polerized just run a stong magnet under it and it should be fine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...