UKC

Rab vapor rise compared to primaloft insulated jacket?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Glen 27 Oct 2008
Does anyone have any experience of comparing a Rab vapor rise jacket/smock to a primaloft type insulated jacket?

I have a Primaloft jacket with pertex quantum outer, and find it very warm for it's weight and nicely breathable, but it's not very robust.

I'm wondering if a vapor rise would be a tougher option for mountaineering/winter climbing? It sees to be a similar weight to a light/medium insulated jacket, so presumably it's not as warm?
 freerangecat 27 Oct 2008
In reply to Glen:

I have a vapour rise and a Mountain Equipment primaloft belay jacket. Vapour Rise is not as warm, but it does give some warmth, from the windproof-ness and the brushed fleecy lining. I run hot and find it good for keeping the chill out but not making me boil. Its not meant to go over more than a baselayer though. I find it great, very rock-proof. Managed to rip it on a street-lamp (long story...), but have jammed my vapour rise-coated wrists in gritstone cracks before climbing and there wasn't a mark on the jacket (or the wrist).
 Monk 27 Oct 2008
In reply to Glen:

I have both a Rab Photon and a Rab Vapour Rise Climb jacket. I suspect that they are fairly comparable in warmth but the VR Climb jacket is a fair bit heavier and bulkier. Nice jacket though, and definitely pretty tough.

Note that I am talking about a VR Climb jacket which is much heavier duty than the VR Trail jacket though. I have just checked the website and they appear to have discontinued the Climb jacket. The trail jacket is nowhere near as warm.
 Ricky Martin 27 Oct 2008
In reply to Glen:

I've got both a Rab VT and a RAB Photon and I'd Struggle to compare them to be honest there both such Differnt Garments

The Proton is as you say
>Primaloft jacket with pertex quantum outer, and find it very
> warm for it's weight and nicely breathable,

Where as the VT is obvoiusly Pertex and micro pile and is no where near as warm.

I use my VT as a base layer in winter and it is execelent as that, with a second softshell over the top when it is no longer warm enough on its own. if you want to use it like that can't recomend it enough but I doubt if would be warm enough or the hood good enough as a stand alone piece. A buffalo or Montane would be a closer to the warmth of a primoloft jacket I'd guess

How are you wanting to use it?
 Ricky Martin 27 Oct 2008
In reply to Monk: Snap
 Martin W 27 Oct 2008
In reply to Glen: I don't know if I got a bad one, but the outer shell on my VR Trail jacket is showing noticeable signs of wear around the rucksack contact points. If it can deteriorate to that extent after a few tens of hours rubbing against nylon and cordura, I'm not sure how long it'd expect it to hold up in a fight with a lump of rock?

Apart from that observation - which I would hasten to add has yet to turn in to a full-blown problem - I love my VR Trail. I also have a Rab Photon hoody but I only use that for extra insulation when not on the move, so it doesn't get the same amount of (ab)use as the VR. I suspect - though I don't know for sure - that it wouldn't stand up to it as well as the VR.

The other thing I like about the VR is that you can get it for less than £100. In that respect it's much better value for me than more expensive gear which doesn't do the functional job I want, so I don't mind so much if I end up having to replace it a bit more frequently (which I haven't actually had to yet anyway).
 dek 27 Oct 2008
In reply to Glen:
I prefer vapour rise stuff for 'moving' and the primaloft for hanging about in the cold, as its amazingly warm for its lack of weight!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...