UKC

Really really bright head torch?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TeaGirl 01 Nov 2008
Looking for a head torch for the High Peak Marathon - it needs to be the brightest I can find as last year was pretty miserable stumbling about in the dark. So I need to resemble a human light house. Any ideas?
 EwanR 01 Nov 2008
In reply to TeaGirl: You'll be wanting a Lupine Betty 14 then.
 Marek 01 Nov 2008
In reply to TeaGirl:
> Looking for a head torch for the High Peak Marathon - it needs to be the brightest I can find as last year was pretty miserable stumbling about in the dark. So I need to resemble a human light house. Any ideas?

Look at night orienteering head torches from Silva. They would seem to fit the bill - but they aren't cheap. Alternatively a 20W dichroic bulb, 12V of rechangable batteries and some DIY can be almost as good and much, much cheaper.

OP TeaGirl 01 Nov 2008
In reply to Marek:
> (In reply to TeaGirl)
> [...]
>
> Alternatively a 20W dichroic bulb, 12V of rechangable batteries and some DIY can be almost as good and much, much cheaper.

Out of interest - why dichroic?
OP TeaGirl 01 Nov 2008
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:
> (In reply to TeaGirl) Got to be one of these
>
> http://en.petzl.com/ultra/range-ultra.html

That might work, however I'd have to have it on economy as I'll be running for 12+ hours, still 40m is a fair way.
OP TeaGirl 01 Nov 2008
In reply to EwanR:

Just had a look at Lupine Bettys and, although awesome, £500?!!
 csw 01 Nov 2008
In reply to TeaGirl:

BD Icon -
timO 01 Nov 2008
In reply to TeaGirl: ...second the silva....nice units and meet your criteria
OP TeaGirl 01 Nov 2008
In reply to timO:

They look pretty good - thinking I might put one on the Christmas list...

Thanks for replies :0)
 Marek 01 Nov 2008
In reply to TeaGirl:
> (In reply to Marek)
> [...]
>
> Out of interest - why dichroic?

It a complete sealed unit with a built in reflector. Choice of dispression angles (wide angle, spot), power ratings (10, 20 , 50W) and common as muck so cheap.
 Graham T 01 Nov 2008
In reply to TeaGirl:
I bought a headband for my bike lights, stupidly bright lights and don't weigh much either.
www.ayup.com.au
urban warrior 01 Nov 2008
In reply to TeaGirl:
SPeak to your local friendy mountain biker who night rides. IMO MTB lights are at the forefront of portable light technology. Used to be halogen, then HID and now it's LED.

I use my now old fashioned 4 years old lumicycle bike lights cabletied to my petzl headtorch headband with a piece of board to act as a heat sink for night stages in adventure races. Trust me. MTB lights are the way to go. For 12 hours un time form a sensible sized battery you need either HID or LED. LED will be best as a headtorch due to heat issues.

USE exposure joystick? all in one unit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...