UKC

waterproof??? (alpkit filo down jacket)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Lane 03 Nov 2008
Hi All

How waterproof is the alpkit filo down jacket? Enough to stand up to a day of peak district rain?

thanks
Dan
 Lemony 03 Nov 2008
In reply to dan lane: No, if you want a jacket to wear in the rain get a synthetic
OP Dan Lane 03 Nov 2008
In reply to Lemony: Can you recomend a waterproof that is waterproof and warm enough to wear in the peak in the middle of winter.

oh and it has to be cheap (£70 or under)because i am only 14 and my parents wont pay any more than that.

Dan
psd 03 Nov 2008
In reply to dan lane:
> (In reply to Lemony) Can you recomend a waterproof that is waterproof and warm enough to wear in the peak in the middle of winter.
>
> oh and it has to be cheap (£70 or under)because i am only 14 and my parents wont pay any more than that.
>
> Dan

To be honest, I suspect you'd be better off with two bits of kit - a waterproof for when it's wet and then something warm to go underneath it. When Vi got herself a thick winter jacket she found it a complete bitch to keep her temperature comfortable as the extra thickness meant that when it was raining she was too hot, but when it was dry and she could take it off she was then too cold as she'd had to remove other layers underneath. I've never understood why people got excited about zip-in fleeces for similar reasons.
 Lemony 03 Nov 2008
In reply to dan lane: Big thick fleece, big warm hat and a cheapo shell would probably do fine
 CarolineMc 03 Nov 2008
In reply to dan lane: I agree with the other guys. Get a waterproof that'll work and layer it up with a synthetic layer underneath - either a half decent fleece, or a Primaloft type layer. The Primaloft jacket will be windproof, warm and really water resistant - better than a fleece - then you just chuck the shell on when it's really raining hard. Fact of the day - Primaloft filling is actually waterproof. Found that out today! If you don't believe me, come in the shop and play with our gadget!!

C-:
 gazw 03 Nov 2008
In reply to CarolineMc: > come in the shop and play with our gadget!! > > C-: dont do it dan. She has evil ways to make you buy her gadgets! The coffee is nice though
 nacnud 04 Nov 2008
In reply to gazw: Warm and dry or warm and wet? I use a montane featherlight smock windshirt over various really cheap fleece to keep warm at the crag if there is a chance of a shower and a down jacket for walking to the pub and hanging around the campsite and for when it is so cold there is no chance of rain.

For days when it is really raining lots I find my house is pretty good at keeping the water off
Vip1r 04 Nov 2008
In reply to dan lane: If it's raining...it's too warm to be wearing a down jacket. End of.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...