UKC

Recommend me a Hard Shell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tenmo 13 Nov 2008
I'm looking at the Mountain Equipment Pro-Lite. It is made with Gore-Tex Pro Shell Ascender Fabric as are most of the other ME jackets (e.g. Ogre, Kongur, Morpheus).

The Pro-Lite is good value at £180. It is marketed as a "lightweight" jacket, suitable only for the summer. But, if it is made from the same Gore-Tex Pro Shell as all the others, how is it not suitable for the winter?

Anyone own a Pro Lite? Are they any good?

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION: Would you get it in blue or red???
OP Tenmo 13 Nov 2008
In reply to Tenmo: So, no one has a ME Pro-Lite jacket then. That speaks volumes I suppose...

Pity, they look like good value but not if they don't keep the rain out in the winter.
mountainsheep 13 Nov 2008
In reply to Tenmo: I would get red because i like red jackets. It didn't really feel like a ligth weight jacket, as you said it made from pro-shell so very water proof ver breathable so it feels light but the matrial is hard wearing as any winter jacket. Dunno what its like in a strom though.
 GarethSL 13 Nov 2008
In reply to Tenmo: I have an Arc'teryx Alpha Lt (nuff said if you're after light weight) yours for £200
Slugain Howff 13 Nov 2008
In reply to Tenmo:

All jaikets leak after an hour or so of harshness.

Blue

Slugain
 ChrisHolloway1 13 Nov 2008
In reply to Tenmo: my friend has one of these, she really likes it, good hood, good price, light, and very waterproof, can't argue for the price
Aimless King 13 Nov 2008
In reply to Tenmo: Although the jacket is made of gore-tex pro shell, this is only tells you what laminate has been used in the jacket. The other 2 parts to the story come from the face fabric and the design of the jacket. Winter jackets will generally use tougher face fabrics that can withstand the harsher conditions of winter use, and the overall design will also reflect this, esp in the design of the hood etc.
For what it's worth, go for red!
 chammy2008 13 Nov 2008
In reply to Tenmo:

Hi Tenmo

I have one of these jackets (in blue) and absolutely love it. The hood is great (fits nicely over my helmet), it's got a great fit and is superbly waterproof.

While the face fabric is not as tough as winter jackets, it is very durable and mine is yet to rip, despite the battering it receives.

I would advise you to shop around though, since I got mine for only £100 from theoutdoorshop about 4 months ago, and I've also seen it on sale elsewhere since. For anything under RRP it is a superb buy. Just my opinon though of course!
 KeithWakeley 14 Nov 2008
In reply to Slugain Howff:
> (In reply to Tenmo)
>
> All jaikets leak after an hour or so of harshness.
>
> Blue
>
> Slugain

Most, not all. I wore a Crux Flak on this years OMM for about 4 hours and stayed dry, well apart from the pockets filling with water, but was dry underneath. The weather on this years OMM probably qualifies as Harsh, is was certainly a bit wet and quite windy.

K
In reply to Tenmo: Hey, why dont you buy a hardshell? PMSL
 Tamati 14 Nov 2008
In reply to Tenmo:

Rab Latok Alpine

light
VERY breathable
Fits

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...