UKC

rope clean advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 supafly 29 Nov 2008
OK I am going to wash my Mammut rope.

Mammut say, according to http://www.mammut.ch/ropes_handling_care.html

you can wash it either in hand warm water in the bathtub or in a normal household washing machine. Occasional washing maintains good handling and increases the life span of the rope. A mild synthetic detergent is the most suitable for this. For machine wash, the same instructions for wool should be used to take best care of the rope

So here's the plan.

1) I will be using this stuff, Zero by Woolite -> http://housewares.about.com/od/sewinglaundry/qt/zerowoolite.htm
This is a "Gentle Wash Detergent".

2) I will be washing it, in the washing machine, on a delicate cycle.

Questions:

1) I've heard it said I shouldn't be using detergent to wash my rope, why do Mammut say I should?
2) Should I put the rope in a pillow case whilst being washed?
3) Any other advice?

3)
OP supafly 29 Nov 2008
In reply to Horse:

Thanks.

I just want to confirm this part:

If detergent is used then one appropriate for ropes and more importantly rope treatment should be used.

in your, or anyones opinion, is woolite zero appropriate for the job?
 Horse 29 Nov 2008
In reply to supafly:

Haven't a clue. Never used a detergent.
 Luke90 30 Nov 2008
In reply to supafly:
I don't think a detergent is really necessary. I'm sure lots are perfectly safe but I'd rather not have any doubts in the back of my mind next time I was run out I just use warm water and I've now got a rope brush though I haven't used it yet.
 hun 30 Nov 2008
In reply to supafly: I usualy just jump in the shower with my rope and pull it through between two stiff brushes with the water running over. No detergents-no doubts. Do it 3-4 times on full length of the rope and you should be ok. I wouldn't put a Mammuth rope in the washingmachine. (From my experience they wear out really quickly) Next time you buy a rope I suggest Edelrid. They last forever.
 deepsoup 30 Nov 2008
In reply to supafly:

> 1) I've heard it said I shouldn't be using detergent to wash my rope, why do Mammut say I should?
Because they're the manufacturer and they know what they're on about. Some people like to be more cautious than the manufacturer says they need to be and thats fine.

> 2) Should I put the rope in a pillow case whilst being washed?
I prefer to double the rope and then loosely daisy-chain it. It keeps it from tangling up, but lets it move around the drum freely (and spread out around the drum when it spins so it doesn't get unbalanced).

> 3) Any other advice?
Never wee on an electric fence.
OP supafly 30 Nov 2008
In reply to deepsoup:

> Never wee on an electric fence.

what about yellow snow.. can i eat yellow snow at least!
OP supafly 30 Nov 2008
btw i ended up putting it in the washer, daisy chained, with woolite zero, on a cold/delicate cycle.

washing machine coped fine but the rope still has aluminium oxide (black marks) all over it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...