UKC

CITY BLOC - A new bouldering wall in Leeds

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Ben Meeks 20 Dec 2008
Finally… a bouldering wall in Leeds!

Opening soon CITY BLOC is the first purpose built bouldering wall in Leeds.

Work is well under way on one of the best boulder walls the UK has seen. Featuring a kiddies/beginners wall, a world cup style competition wall, a link up traversing wall, a specific training section with a 50 degree fixed holds board and a campus board, and a font style circuits room.

Designed and run by 4 former British team members this excellent new venue in LS10 will have something for everyone.

Check out our new website at http://www.citybloc.co.uk/ for a sneaky peak of the build so far and keep up to date with what’s happening over the next few weeks leading up to our January opening.

Annual memberships are now available if you want a good Christmas pressie!

http://www.citybloc.co.uk/prices.htm

Mattyk 20 Dec 2008
In reply to Ben Meeks: Looks interesting.. How big is it? Is the photo of the plywood, the complete area? or is there more? The big overhang looks very high!
 2pints 21 Dec 2008
In reply to Ben Meeks:

Oooh, is this different to the one in Pudsey then?

Woooo, where in LS10 btw?
In reply to 2pints: I think it's in the old skate building on Kitson Road. It's just off Hunslet Road near the footbridge. Near South Accommodation Road.

Personally, i can't wait for this to open. Leeds has been shouting out for something like this. Well done to Ben and the team.
 2pints 21 Dec 2008
In reply to climberjamie:

wow, 2 dedicated bouldering walls to be opened in Leeds!

I never liked the bouldering wall at Leeds Wall, always found it a wee bit small and full of Wad-stylee problems.

Hope this place has a punters wall and I may very much be looking forward to trying to climb again
 Michael Ryan 21 Dec 2008
In reply to Ben Meeks:

An inspired name. Nice one. Who came up with it?
Ben Meeks 21 Dec 2008
The current photo on the City Blog shows around 25% of the climbing surface. In total we will have about 600 square meters once finished.

City Bloc is situated very close to the M621 near Hunslet.

We will have lots of climbing on all types of angles and at least 25 problems at everybodys grade that will be changed every month. A photo of the "punter" area will be going on to the next blog, so keep checking the updates.

As for the name, it appeared at the end of a directors meeting fuelled by many bottles of red wine. I'm actually surprised we remembered it the next day.
 k_os 21 Dec 2008
In reply to Ben Meeks: the photos look really good, may sound stupid but get a facebook group started, you'd be surprised how fast word travels round. Look at Jeff Buckley and the xmas number 2, all started on facebook!
dcc 22 Dec 2008
In reply to Ben Meeks:

This looks lush. looking forward to seeing more pics!
Ben Meeks 24 Dec 2008
In reply to dcc:

There are now more pics, and the wall plans, on the website...

http://www.citybloc.co.uk

... and follow the link from the home page re wall plans.

Merry Christmas everyone from all at City Bloc!

pamplemouse 28 Dec 2008
In reply to Ben Meeks: Nice one Ben..looking forward to pulling on the new wall in the new year.
 2pints 28 Dec 2008
In reply to Ben Meeks:

When is it likely to be open?
martincitybloc 28 Dec 2008
In reply to 2pints:
should be mid Jan all being well

andrew300169 29 Dec 2008
In reply to Ben Meeks: Good Luck to you all. I checked on your website and couldn't see an address. LS10 is a wee bit vague
In reply to Ben Meeks: Hi Ben, any news on an opening day yet? I can't wait to go indoor bouldering in Leeds rather than having to drive to Sheffield!
daley boy 03 Jan 2009
In reply to Ben Meeks: Hey Ben, the Wall is coming on really well. It's going to be a fantastic setup, and so much bigger than I first imagined. Can't wait for it to open. Cheers
 BrianT 05 Jan 2009
In reply to 2pints:
> (In reply to Ben Meeks)
>
> Oooh, is this different to the one in Pudsey then?
>
There's a wall in PUDSEY!?!?

TimS 05 Jan 2009
In reply to Ben Meeks: Very excited!
 2pints 05 Jan 2009
In reply to BrianT:

WOrd on da grapevine was that they're building one on the industrial estate near the tip just off Richardshaw Lane
Ben Meeks 07 Jan 2009
In reply to TimS: Thanks for your enthusiasm everybody. We are working as hard as possible to get the wall finished asap.

Current thoughts are that it will be open in around 2 weeks time. We will be posting an opening date shortly so watch this space.
In reply to Ben Meeks: Thanks for taking time out to reply Ben, I appreciate this must be a very busy tme for you. 2 weeks is better news than i expected.
abbi 07 Jan 2009
I can't wait!!! i hate the leeds wall.

When will you open???? im getting impatient...
abbi 07 Jan 2009
ahhh.... 2 weeks....

BrianT 09 Jan 2009
In reply to 2pints:
> (In reply to BrianT)
>
> WOrd on da grapevine was that they're building one on the industrial estate near the tip just off Richardshaw Lane

Bugger. Trust me to move to Sheffield.

Mind you I hate climbing walls.
 2pints 09 Jan 2009
In reply to BrianT:
Were you not desperate to escape Pudsey though?

I would've moved to Mars if it was the only option other than live in Pudders...
 BrianT 09 Jan 2009
In reply to 2pints: I was desperate, yes. I had...personal reasons.
 2pints 10 Jan 2009
In reply to BrianT:

Yeh like not wanting to live in Pudsey I imagine.

I tend to go back once a year now-a-days, did you know there's a chav dress code there now?
In reply to Ben Meeks: Should be opening anytime now, great colour scheme by the way. I can't wait.
 BrianT 22 Jan 2009
In reply to 2pints:
> (In reply to BrianT)
>
> Yeh like not wanting to live in Pudsey I imagine.
>
> I tend to go back once a year now-a-days, did you know there's a chav dress code there now?

You mean there wasn't before?
BobCalver 24 Jan 2009
In reply to Ben Meeks:

2 weeks have come and gone

how's progress?
 Mattyk 25 Jan 2009
In reply to Ben Meeks: So what news? Do have we an opening date?
 Brimham55 28 Jan 2009
In reply to Ben Meeks: Hi Ben - I'm writing a short piece for the mag Beyond Leeds on bouldering so could we have a word about the new wall please. Cheers
BobCalver 29 Jan 2009
Will there be monthly or 3 monthly memberships like at the Climbing Works?
 DavidR 03 Feb 2009
Anyone got any info on when this is likely to be opening its doors? The City Bloc blog hasn't been updated since 16th January, so wondering what the story was. Can't wait to see the place!
 Mattyk 03 Feb 2009
open according to news on climb magazione 7th feb.. not well advertised though.
In reply to Mattyk: As far as i know, and don't put this in stone, but i beleive they were set to open as stated but then had a problem with the matting. As i'm sure people would rather boulder above matting they are waiting to get this problem rectified before opening.
abbi 06 Feb 2009
SEE YOU 2MORO AT 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im sooooo excited!!!!
Ben Meeks 09 Feb 2009
Hi everybody, just a quick note to say sorry for the delay in opening. We did have a few issues that set us back a week or two, but we are open NOW so get your skates on and head on over.

Also, our card machine has not arrived from the bank yet, so you'll have to bring cash or cheque for the moment.

Phill Mitch 09 Feb 2009
In reply to Ben Meeks: I have been to City bloc on sunday,glad it's open now.I found the variety of angles and aretes very imaginative,as well as being quite high.But best of all is the brilliant route setting,which We found very well thought out and varied.The only thing I did miss was a bit of friction on one or two of the features but its early days and its probably on the list of finishing touches.I will be back,and recomend it to anyone.
 Mattyk 11 Feb 2009
In reply to Ben Meeks: What time are you open until?
Ben Meeks 11 Feb 2009
In reply to Mattyk: Our opening times are Mon-Fri 12-10 and weekends 10-8.
 lummox 12 Feb 2009
In reply to Ben Meeks: do you have a card machine yet and is there anywhere secure for cycles to be locked up ? Cheers!
Ben Meeks 12 Feb 2009
In reply to lummox: No card machine yet i'm afraid. We have been told it will be 10 - 12 days.

As for locking up your bikes there is no specific bike rail, but the car-park has railings that are secure enough for bikes to be chained too.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...