UKC

Anyone use Aspen 4T fuel in Primus Himalaya stove?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
fmajor007 20 Dec 2008
I'm new here and like all others, asking for help....

Has anyone used Aspen 4T as a fuel substitute for Coleman fuel?
fmajor007 16 Jan 2009
In reply to fmajor007:

No one?
 Garbhanach 16 Jan 2009
In reply to fmajor007:
> I'm new here and like all others, asking for help....
>
> Has anyone used Aspen 4T as a fuel substitute for Coleman fuel?

Never heard of it but looks good, Colemans is about £6.00 for 1/2 litre so I use Kerosene which is sooty and smelly but a lot cheaper.

fmajor007 18 Jan 2009
In reply to Garbhanach:

Thanks all,

I had seen and read the linked thread, but seeing as it's nearly two years old, was hoping for a more recent opinion.

I live in Europe, but don't have easy access to UK, so am hoping to certain before my purchase and an expensive delivery.
 craigjfjones 01 Feb 2009
HI, I looked in to this recently. The conclusion was naptha, aka 'panel wipe' used in car bodywork repairs, seemed to be the cheapest/cleanest option for me in the future.
 nniff 02 Feb 2009
In reply to fmajor007:

Why not just standard unleaded petrol? My Primus Omnifuel runs best on it - decent octane rating unlike that weedy white gas. Does a Himalaya specifically say you can't run it on petrol?
In reply to nniff: It's fine to run it on petrol, except it's not so good for your health! (There's loads of additives)

I've been meaning to buy aspen 4T for a while, but I'm still getting through my last (expensive) can of coleman.
 54ms 02 Feb 2009
In reply to nniff:

They don't get hot enough to burn all the additives so you have to clean your stove more often. I still use it though as it's so much cheaper.
 gimmer 02 Feb 2009
In reply to fmajor007:
Yes my brother uses Aspen 4T in his Coleman petrol stove with no problems. For a couple of reasons; less nasty fumes, don't have to clean stove as much and he has a petrol lawn mower so has plenty of fuel knocking around. I have a bottle he gave me, I've tried it out once in my MSR stove, seems to work ok, but not used it for a long period of time.
 nniff 02 Feb 2009
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

Life's too short to worry about many things and the additives in fuel in stove is one of them, for me. I habitually cook outside anyway - perhaps if I cooked inside a tent I might look at it differently - actually, I'd run it on butane/propane then. Who say that the products of combustion of napatha and whatever else are benign anyway?
 SteveD 02 Feb 2009
In reply to No one in Particular: Thank you for this thread, my Local source of Coleman fuel has dried up and my stash is getting a bit low - can't get it sent over here. But I've just found out that a local mower centre stocks Aspen 4t at £13.00 for 5 litres (Coleman about £60.00 for 5 litres) so I shall give that a go.

Cheers

Steve D
rik_uk3 23 Feb 2009
In reply to fmajor007:

Aspen 4T (not 2T) works very well as a Coleman fuel substitute as does panel wipe. The Aspen 4T is pure and free from additives so you don't get the nasty fumes (very bad for your health) you get from petrol, it won't clog up you stove as petrol will sooner or later, and if it spills it evaporates very quickly leaving no smell unlike petrol.

Amongst us sad old stove collectors petrol is a no no in stoves or lamps

Richard
 fishy1 23 Feb 2009
In reply to nniff: What does octane rating have to do with how it will burn in a stove?

Nothing, I think, as octane rating is related to the ability, or lack of it, of the fuel to self ignite.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...