UKC

New Zealand Skiing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alexander123 22 Dec 2008
Not strictly climbing in fact not climbing at all but anyway. Me and a mate are planning to go skiing in New Zealand this summer (their winter)for about a month. Hope to get some decent backcountry skiing in and maybe some heli skiing if our funds stretch that far (unlikely). Just wondering where the best place to base ourself would be. Is therone resort that stands out or would travelling about be recomended. Any info about resorts, off piste skiing, anything is much appreciated.

Alex
 Chris F 22 Dec 2008
In reply to Alexander123: AFAIK, heli is restricted to South Island only? I think best choice would be either Queenstown or Wanaka. Both have access to some good resorts, and loads of backcountry inbetween. You can heliski from either, the heli companies have offices in both towns.
Removed User 22 Dec 2008
In reply to Alexander123: Another area to check out is Arthurs Pass. Temple Basin is a fun, chilled out place, you can stay a week for good value. Small pisted area, but plenty of backcountry if you have imagination.
 Chris F 22 Dec 2008
In reply to Removed User: True, really close to Castle Hill too.
'Arris 22 Dec 2008
In reply to Alexander123: Queenstown is the place to be in terms of apres ski/nightlife
Chato Fan Club 22 Dec 2008
In reply to Alexander123:
Head for Wanaka. Backcountry skiing at Treble Cone and Black Peak.. and there is a hut at Black Peak.

http://www.aspiringguides.com/conditions_treble_cone_backcountry.html

I can also recommend climbing French ridge and skiing over to the Colin Todd hut and then climbing Mt Aspiring... ( I was too chicken to ski down the 'Ramp' though )
 ianslade 22 Dec 2008
In reply to Alexander123: Wanaka is amazing for B.C. loads to do highly recomended by my brother who spent six mounths out there last summer.
 Will Nicholls 22 Dec 2008
In reply to Alexander123: I think you're best of being around Castle Hill as well- the club fields surrounding it are awesome. Craigieburn is my favourite, lots of steep chutes and not many people. Mount Olympus is also really good just behind. Broken River generally gets the most snow as it a lot of the snow in bowls further along the range gets blown off and dumped there.
The resorts arounds Queenstown and Wanaka are alright but busier and much more expensive. I don't think the skiing is as interesting there and if you're based around the club fields it's really easy to hike up and go along the ridge that connects them all. A good website to look at is http://www.chillout.co.nz
My mate runs some trips and accomodation from Springfield which is quite close to the clubbies, he's a great skier and keen to pass info on, his website is www.bahara.co.nz
Hope that's of some help
 KiwiPrincess 22 Dec 2008

We Live in Queenstown Out the back of the Remarkables ski area is the doolans and wye creek. Good back country for day and half day trips. You will see us out there as soon as the ice is over.

Also Ski touring up in the big mountains but you'd need to fly in to a hut.

There is heaps of stuff everywhere in the South Island just look for a mountain and off you go.

Heli skiing widely available. Alpine glacier heliski. Harris mountain heliski, are 2 local companies off the top of my head to look at pricing.

Town wise Queenstown is cityish, Clubs, bars restaurants etc. Wanaka more relaxed less stuff. Mt Cook Village, Methven etc quite small.
OP Alexander123 22 Dec 2008
In reply to Alexander123:Thanks a lot everyone. lots of good advice there
 Chris F 23 Dec 2008
In reply to will n: Not sure you could spend a month in Springfield though - you would die of boredom. Nice pies though. Maybe 2 weeks there, and 2 weeks in Wanaka or Queenstown.
 JonnySchofield 27 Dec 2008
In reply to Alexander123: I'll second that Wanaka is a great place to base yourself if you want laid back, good quality skiing.

I spent a season living there and spent most of my time skiing Treble Cone which is a great resort if can't get to do some heli stuff. You can take the Saddle Quad lift and head out left for some good, quiet BC skiing and its close to the lift.

Theres also a small crag with some sport/trad climbing on the way to Treble cone and there was a climbing wall being built in Wanaka when i left if i remember rightly.

Wherever you go, you'll have an awesome trip
 maria85 27 Dec 2008
In reply to Alexander123: In Wanaka at the moment, didn't spend the winter here but will be next year. Certainly a lot quieter and nicer (in my opinion!!) then Qtown, depends how much you want to party though. If you're planning on skiing all the time probably doesn't make too much difference. Heliski stuff here too, and not far to drive over to Qtown for something different.

Lots of climbing to go at here that's climbable in winter too.
 nz Cragrat 27 Dec 2008
In reply to maria85:

This winter all the snow fell on the Canterbury fields - Mt Hutt had a record amount .... Queenstown was bare
 Tall Clare 27 Dec 2008

might be worth dropping AdrianC a line (through here) - he lives in Wanaka and spends his winters (our summers) ski-touring round there. He knows his onions (and ski fields).
 bobby 28 Dec 2008
In reply to Alexander123: the fox and franz josef neves on the south islands west coast has some of the best touring available over here,heli access is the key ,great huts,amazing locations,3.5 hours drive from wanaka
cahotic 30 Dec 2008

Wanaka. Lots of hiking off the back of Treble Cone. Or there was ten years ago.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...