UKC

Camping Keswick or Ambleside

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bilbo 1 22 Dec 2008
Merry Christmas folks, we are popping off to the lakes after christmas and i'm wondering if anybody can suggest some campsites / bunkhouses in these two areas?
 PDL 22 Dec 2008
In reply to bilbo 1:
There is a camp site more or less in Ambleside if you approach from Windermere, not sure if it will be open. There are others just to the North.
 Glyno 22 Dec 2008
In reply to PDL:
> (In reply to bilbo 1)
> There is a camp site more or less in Ambleside if you approach from Windermere, not sure if it will be open. There are others just to the North.

I don't know of any campsites in or just outside Ambleside, you're not mistaking the tent display/sale at Hayes Garden Centre for a campsite by chance?

Glyno 22 Dec 2008
In reply to bilbo 1:
For Ambleside, the NT site at Great Langdale is probably your best bet. For Keswick, try either of these:
http://www.castleriggfarm.com/
http://www.scotgateholidaypark.co.uk/
 dread-i 22 Dec 2008
In reply to bilbo 1:
There's a site in down town Keswick, which is expensive but well run. It obviously gives you access to the pubs, curry houses and gear shops of Keswick should the weather be poor, or you fancy a night out.

I camped at www.seatollerfarm.co.uk earlier in the year. Its a bit of a way out of Keswick, basic and can be damp. I'm probably going to go to Seathwaite in Borrowdale next time we are up that way, as the view looks nicer. (See thread about car break ins though).
 PDL 23 Dec 2008
In reply to Glyno:
> (In reply to PDL)
> [...]
>
> I don't know of any campsites in or just outside Ambleside, you're not mistaking the tent display/sale at Hayes Garden Centre for a campsite by chance?
Near the Rugby pitch just up from the garden centre, was there in April.

Dark-Cloud 23 Dec 2008
In reply to PDL: on the left before you get into the one way system ? Thats the tent show for sure !!
 GrahamD 23 Dec 2008
In reply to bilbo 1:

You often see people camping on the field next to the new town carpark in Ambleside - possibly owned by the cricket club ?
 PDL 23 Dec 2008
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to bilbo 1)
>
> You often see people camping on the field next to the new town carpark in Ambleside - possibly owned by the cricket club ?

Wasn't sure if it was the cricket club or rugby but you can certainly camp there, me and the wife parked on the car park and stumbled into it. Prices for day pitch etc

nastyned 23 Dec 2008
In reply to bilbo 1: There's Scotgate in Braithwaite near Keswick. Very handy for the Royal Oak, a nice Jennings pub.
In reply to bilbo 1: Although not in Keswick or Ambleside the best campsites in the Lakes for me are :
1> Langdale National Trust
Not too expensive, good toilets and showers, drying room and you dont have to pay for parking if your heading out in the valley. Not too far from Ambleside.
2> Seathwaite
Cheap if very basic but with a nice cafe next to the field. Not far from Keswick.
3> Langstrath
£3.50 per person per night, toilets but no showers but when I have camped here in winter no-one has bothered coming to collect my money so occasionally free. And not too far from Keswick. Has that real 'in the middle of nowhere' feel about the place if their aint many people there.
Most campsites in the Lakes seem to be so expensive and I personally refuse to pay £10 or more to pitch my tent for the night (Baa Humbug).
Enjoy your Christmas camping!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...