UKC

Recommend me a hard shell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean_J 23 Dec 2008
Santa's writing me a big fat cheque, and it's burning a hole in my pocket even before i've got it. I'm lusting after a new hard shell - requirements are that it'll cope with scottish winter and summer alpine trips as well as UK cragging, so it needs to be hardwearing yet pretty light, preferably under about 450g. And a hood that fits well over a helmet yet doesn't flap around when you're not wearing one. Needs to be unrestrictive too, I like being able to look around freely and move unhindered - good breathability is important too. I realise that i've just described the perfect jacket, but there must be a few candidates out there that come close to fitting the bill! Money's not really an issue if the jacket ticks all the right boxes, as long as it's not too outrageous! (I've got a Haglofs Oz and love it to bits, has anyone got any experience of the Haglofs LIM Ozone???) Cheers everyone, and merry xmas to all!
OP Sean_J 23 Dec 2008
In reply to Sean_J: Think I might have meant the Haglofs Spitz/Crux instead of the Ozone - but any comments either way are more than welcome!
 Caralynh 23 Dec 2008
In reply to Sean_J:

I have the Spitz and love it. Great fit, nicely weatherproof, and just lovely really
 Kai 24 Dec 2008
In reply to Sean_J:

Rab Super Dru.

Lightweight
eVent fabric
Nice design

http://www.rab.uk.com/clothing/shell/super_dru---111/
In reply to Kai:
the super dru is NOT hard wearing in the slightest though.
 Mr-Cowdrey 24 Dec 2008
In reply to Sean_J: berghaus axis jacket

http://www.berghaus.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=1346&Gear=2

have been using it for about half a year, kept me warm on the snowy peaks of the Lake District back in april and dry on long wet days out on dartmoor

very good jacket
Removed User 24 Dec 2008
In reply to Sean_J:I recommend Vaude Krypton Jacket but I heard that actually gore tex xcr is much more resistant and wear out much slower then the Pro technology.
 pottsworth 24 Dec 2008
In reply to Sean_J:
I just recently got a marmot precip, and so far have been really impressed.
I wasn't looking for a scotish winter jacket, more a general day-to-day waterproof, that was lightweight enough to go in the bottom of my climbing pack for general cragging / the alps, and the precip certainly does this.
It is uba light weight, and high enough spec tat I'd be more tha confident taking only that out in the alps
 GarethSL 24 Dec 2008
In reply to Sean_J: tut...

Norrona Lofoten jacket! :P

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lxtFujrGmOk

More for skiing, but a very good jacket indeed. Guy doesn't have a clue BTW!

If in doubt... Arc'teryx Alpha LT 365g, better design than any other jacket on the market (bar the Arc'teryx or Norrona ones), very light weight... 365g, very durable, very very breathable. And like you say... If money's not an issue... And only 365g... Have I mentioned that?

nodwas 25 Dec 2008
In reply to Kai:
Do not go near the rab event jackets they are not tough at all or for that matter waterproof even after following all the 'waterproofing' instructions the day after doing it all mine still leaked like a siv stay well away!!
tianshanvirgin 02 Jan 2009
In reply to Sean_J: I've got a Millet K Jacket, it is heavier than you want but brilliant at keeping the weather out and is tough,there have been a few occassions where i have caught it and thought it was the end but not a mark. I think its worth the extra weight to know it won't let you down when you need it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...